Pregnancy 35+ Community
contractions at 23 weeks

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

contractions at 23 weeks

Ftm. Anyone else go through this? I'm hydrated and been taking it easy after being in l&d for this issue last night, but they aren't going away. They just told me to take it easy and stay hydrated. Seeing my Ob tomtorrow. Just wondered if anyone else is/has  going (gone) through this and let me.know what to expect or tricks to deal with it. Tylenol doesn't phase it nor does Percocet.
I have and it turned out to be because I had an uti. I guess they are common for pregnant women and it causes contractions. Have your Dr run a culture on your urine to see if you may have one.
Um yea if tylenol did anything for painful contractions we wouldnt have epidurals lol. I had this twice. You are supposed to have Braxton Hicks and they shouldnt be painful. Does your doctor know you're taking percocets? I thought I was having them for two months. We could see the baby kick when I felt the pain...turns out the baby was literally getting on my nerve lol. Another time it was placenta previa and it went away.
They checked my urine last night and no uti. She does know about the Percocets. She prescribed them due to my round ligament pain. Mine isn't normal due to my body trying to flex instead of of adjusting for the baby. I'm just nervous that I am going to into pre term labor due to the contractions.
I started having contractions around that time any was given a shot to stop them and 2 doses of steroids to helo develop the babies lungs in case they did come early. I am now 28weeks4 days with twins and still have the contractions but am not dialating they told me go to l&d if they are increasing in intensity and frequency or I have them every 5 minutes lasting 1 min for 1 hr . My Dr calls it the 5-1-1 rule and its usually a sure sign of labor.
My doc put me back in triage today. Still contractions with no reason. I was told I just need to learn to cope with them.
They tried to tell me to "cope" too. I wasnt with all that. I immediately changed hospitals. They found her cord had a block in it, and her heart rate dropped. They gave me a shot in each thigh over a period of 12 hours, put me on fluids, and the steroids she mentioned. She got better overnight and they sent me home. I was 22 weeks then. Now im between 38 and 39. Shes a tough cookie. :) Just follow your instincts. You will be fine. Take notive of movements. Lie on your back once after breakfast and once after finner and count how mamy times he/she moves. DO NOT DO THIS FOR OVER AN HOUR, too much pressure on baby. So 45 mins max in a.m. and 60 mins max after dinner. Once youve counted 5 or 6 movements, you're done. Thats what my doctor had me do for a few days. Even when I didnt get to five she was moving but I couldnt feel it lol.
Ty!!!!! I will try that.
I clearly missed my spell check lol!
I understood all the same. :) and feel her just fine after the 2 meals. Contemplating changing hospitals.
Awesome. Yes my babygirl seems like she wants out tonight or this morning rather. Shes been directly on my bladder for hours now. I wanna sleep but every 7-10 mins I have to tinkle. Lots of pain in my back and belly. We will see.
I have gone into preterm labor with each of my pgs on and off starting at about 20 weeks. Usally I went to the hospital and my ob met me there. I was kept while I got a shot to stop my contractions, and i wasnt allowed to leave until the contractions stopped. Based on that this time I am getting a weekly progesterone shot to prevent the preterm contractions and labor. My ob allways told me if I was contracting before 35 weeks I would be admitted to the hospital until either the contractions stopped and he was comfortable that the baby and I were in no trouble or if labor progressed I would be sent to a hospital with a Meternal Fetal Medicine Unit and NICU to be admitted until I was 35 weeks or the baby was born. Are you on bed rest? Are these contractions progressing you toward becoming efaced or dialated?  
They progress, and then regress. I am not dilated. Iwas told cervix is just over 3cm, closed and plugged with something mumbled about 40%. That's all the info I know. Still trying to figure this out as I go since this is my first.
Probably 40% effaced. that basicly means thinned out at 40%, when you get to 100% effaced your cervix is paper thin and ready for labor. But not being dialated is a really good thing. Usally when you contract your body is slowly ( or for some people quickly) progressing your cervix toward labor. Has anything eased up yet?
The contractions aren't as close together. they are more random. I actually went to officially high risk today at my Dr. Appt. I have a fibroid that has grown over 2.5 cm in 5 weeks. Which is adding other issues and so I will be seeing a doctor once a week for awhile.
oh my, Its good that they are seeing you once a week now, but do they think that the fibroid is causing the pain?
Hope you are still doing OK.
They do think the fibroid is the cause of everything. It is now 8cm. Nothingbthey can do about it right now other than to monitor. They prepped me to come in when contractions start again, what to possibly expect. I know my water can break early the preterm labor and the fibroid using all its blood supply as well as if it attaches itself to something else for more blood.