Pregnancy 35+ Community
cord coil

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

cord coil

I gave birth last Feb 27.She was alive but stayed only for 8 hours after i gave birth. my child died because her cord was tied on her neck..All fetal signs was ok even during labor. Is there anyway to control cord to be knotted on baby's neck. I was so excited to see her but her life was taken away because of the cord coil situation. Im afraid to have another baby though i really wish to have one. How will i cope up with this accident until now i can still remember what happened and it brought me into tears.
Tags: Baby
Oh my gosh. I am so very sorry, I cannot even imagine what you must be going through.  I don't pretend to know a lot about this or how it may have been prevented.  But, based on what I have read this sounds like one of those horrible accidents that will not be repeated.  I am sure the chances of something like this happening again would be almost nil.  I am so sorry, and I am sending all my love and support your way. Amanda
I am so very sorry.  Like adgal says, I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to have to deal with something like that.  
However, I think you should be okay with another baby if you make sure your doctor monitors you carefully.  I am no doctor and I don't really know how this works but I know a lady who had the same problem.  But they saw it on the ultrasound and so the doctor kept a close eye on it and he ended up doing a c-section for her 4 weeks before her due date because he started to get worried.  
I know that you are not the only one to lose a baby for this reason.  I don't know why.  I don't know if it can't always be seen on an ultrasound or if maybe even if you see it, you can't always tell if it's going to be serious or not.
Maybe you should ask your doctor what happens if this happens again.  Ask if they can monitor you more closely to see if it is happening.  And ask what they can do if it does happen.  If they CAN tell if it's happening and there IS something safe they can do to prevent it from being a problem, then you don't have to worry.
i really dont know how to cope up with this. i had my regular check up i did everthing what my OB told me. im really very careful during my pregnancy even my mother cant touch my tummy when i was pregnant. I envy those mother who can hug their baby. I wasnt able to hug her cause she needs to be rushed to the hospital that time..
I am really sorry. It is a devastating situation. I don't think there is anything you can do until the delivery. My son had a triple coil, and it was only the quick thinking of the doctor that saved him. The OB realized that he was strangling as I pushed, so he shoved his fingers between the cord and my son's throat. Maybe an ultrasound could be done right before delivery to see if this is something that needs to be monitored.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.  I couldn't imagine.  This has always been an underlying fear of mine as well.  Twisting and knotting of the umbilical cord can result in serious distress and fetal demise.  My son had the cord wrapped around his neck upon delivery, and I remember him being a shade of blue that almost put me in cardiac arrest..although he is 2yrs old now.  The fetal monitor should show when any fetal distress is present, but sometimes I guess it doesn't.  I wonder if an u/s would have detected that.  I understand your fear and I would like to say it would never happen again, but that's hard to say.  I wish you the very best, and again please accept my condolences on the loss of your baby.  Pam
I completely understand.  I, too, lost my daughter to a cord accident. Now grant it Madison Brianna had other issues, but the cause of our sweet angel's demise was the darn umbilical cord accident. Her umbilical cord was short and became tightly wrapped around her abdomen and left ankle. When I delivered her, her left ankle was completely white.  That is how tight that darn cord was on my baby girl. The knot was unfortunately too tight for her to get loose.  Know that a cord accident causing a baby's demise is truly not common but very rare..Go figure huh?  Lord only knows why we both were dealt the "bad hand" of losing our angels.  I am a Labor & Delivery Nurse and babies are born more often than not with cords around their neck and do fine.  Some nuchal cords are tight and some are loose and can be reduced meaning slipped over the baby's head to ensure the cord is not being compressed whilst delivering.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about my baby especially because of my job.  I see children that would be Madison's age and always get so sad about the entire situation.  Know that you will never forget your angel because you loved her so and still love her.  With time I pray that you will be at peace and willing to try again to conceive.  It is ok to shed a tear, hell I am crying as I type this message.  Madison Brianna passed away prior to me delivering.  She passed away on July 31st and I had a C-section at 1:16am on August 1st, 2008. I knew something was wrong because she just stopped moving. I will never forget that time.  I pray you go on to have healthy children with your dear sweet Loureen along with God watching over them.  
Please know that you did nothing to cause this.  I, too, used to beat myself up emotionally thinking of what I could have done differently and I know better.  Cord accidents cannot be prevented.
I, too, long to have a child/children that me and my husband can call our own and actually bring home and cuddle constantly.  Some women do not know how blessed they are.  This feeling you are feeling is all too familiar and hurts soooo much.  I would never wish this pain on my worst enemy if I had one.  Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded.  I just wanted you to know that I COMPLETELY understand your fears and your pain.  I am soooo sorry you have had to endure this heartache.  I will keep you and your husband in my prayers.
Be blessed,
Ungelica
Oh my goodness, I am so very very sorry to hear about your unimaginable loss.
You have my deepest sympathy.

I know that when I was in labor, my Doctor had a fetal monitor on me and that he my babies heartrate go up way to high and made me have an emergency C-section.  When she came out she had a cord around her neck, but she was healthy because of the rush C-section.  If they had not had that monitor, she may have died as well.
.
Please do not be afraid to try again.  You can have a healthy baby.  Choose a hospital and Doctor who take precautions and monitor your baby even when you are in labor.  Prevention is possible.  Don'T lose hope.
Lisa
I'm so so sorry for your loss.  Like many others have said, I cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through.  

Take care of yourself .

Marilyn
thanks alot ladies for your sympathy. i found people who understands what i fell. thanks a lot.
sorry to hear that.. but now happy for u coz i see u r pg again. i have heard thatwe have to be careful while sleeping, like be careful not to roll while sleeping. when u get up from bed, rise slowly. I pray that this pregnancy of urs will go well. take care
hi there, I just wanted to let you know that i know exactly how you feel.  I too lost my little girl earlier this year due to a tight cord around the neck (please read my journal entry "my little angel"), our situations are a little different but i am sure our pain is the same.  There is not a minute of any day that i do not think of that pretty little girl and what she could have been, what she would have looked like, how seeing her smile would make me feel.  I miss her every single day.  I just have to remember that she will always be with me in my heart and so will your precious little angel.  We are still trying to fall pregnant again but it alot harder than we had hoped!!!  You will not always be so sad.  Take care of your self.  Marina
hi. you know what? i think we are the same. I gave birth last February 14 2011. my baby boy died also because of cord coil. i  hope i can have another baby..
as i read all the messages, i felt so sad because me too lost my baby just this april 8, 2012 because of cord accident. He was 24 weeks and 8.4 lbs in weight. It was my fourth pregnancy and it was the 1st time it happened to me. You know, i was so excited to see him and had so much plans for him. I put up an internet cafe business so that i could have an extra income so i could give  all baby's needs but before we get started with our internet cafe he died in my tummy. During my labor, i felt so nervous and felt so worry about myself because i got  infected from my baby's toxic. I was chilling because of high fever and i prayed to God that he would stay with me and give me a normal delivery. God is really good because he heard my prayer. 1 hour before my delivery my fever had gone. Although, i lost my baby i still thank him because he saved me. I know, my baby is now in heaven and he is with us everyday to guide and protect us. Hes name is Dondi John. I gave him that name because when he was still 2 months in my tummy, i had a dream and he was there standing beside me and told me that "Mommy my name is Dondi John" and in my dream he disappear. At first I kept on asking the meaning of that dream but now i totally understand why. Dondi John mommy and daddy love you so much.
I am so sorry for your loss