Pregnancy 35+ Community
fetus measuring small?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

fetus measuring small?

I had an ultrasound last week which measured my baby at 6 weeks 6 days.  According to my last menstrual period, it should have been 8 weeks (so one week off).  I have longer menstrual cycles, so it could have been a later ovulation/conception...?  Has anyone else measured smaller than expected with good results?
I am measuring 2 weeks behind my LMP. And everything is going great with the baby so far. I just ovulated late or something. As I bet you did too. Does your doctor seem concerned? If not and everything seems to be going good, baby with a strong heartbeat and all then I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck to you!!!

Patty
Thank you so much!  I had a miscarriage this spring, so I'm a little jumpy.  How far along are you?
Currently, I'm 9 wks 4 days. I too had a miscarriage (tubal pregnancy) in May. So I was a little jumpy and confused for a while too. And.. that is why I ovulated late and why the dates aren't adding up. The first month I had a 45 day cycle and then the next I only had a 25 day cycle. I got pregnant actually on CD32 in August. So yeah, it can be a whole lot confusing. But I think you and baby is doing fine as long as there is a good strong heartbeat and you aren't in extreme pain for some unknown reason or bleeding! So.. CONGRATS!!!
yes, mine is measuring a week smaller too.   i'm thinking ovulation days were off.
I don't seem my doctor until 11/08, so I don't know if she is concerned.  I've only seen the nurse and ultrasound tech so far.  They acted weird about the small for date fetus, but I don't think they considered that I haven't had 28-day cycles.  I don't think one week off is that big of a deal, but then again, my last pregnancy was smaller than expected on ultrasound and it did not end well. I'll have another u/s on the 8th, so I'll keep you posted. Let me know how your pregnancies go as well. Good luck ladies and babies!
HI,
Same thing with me. I went in for an u/s at 6wks 3days and they saw no fetal pole or heartbeat so of course I was sad and disappointed. Went in at 7wks 0 days, saw fetal pole and heartbeat and they said I was measuring a week smaller, approx 6 wks. Went back in for another u/s at 9wks 2 days (I think) and the baby measured one week smaller there, too.

They told me as long as the baby CONTINUES to measure consistently one week smaller and doesn't drop off in growth then that's all fine and great. Could be just variances in ovulation dates as mentioned.

I'm 11 weeks today and I go back in a week from today for my major u/s (nuchal test, etc) so I'll post when I know how the baby is measuring then.

Christina
Christina,

Thanks so much for sharing! I've had a successful pregnancy before and don't remember it being this scary at all!  I  also had a miscarriage this spring, which might be why everything is freaking me out.

Please do post a note after your ultrasound next week!

Jeannette
I am so glad that I happened upon this blog/website!!!! I have several unsuccessful pregnancies but also have 3 beautiful children.  Just last month found out that I am pregnant (totally) unexpected and just went in for 1st ultrasound...am measuring at 6wks 2 days and according to my dates I should be 8wks. Plus they have found 2 yolk sacs (twins). I go back in one week to see if they grow or if they are just a "troubled" pregnancy.  I pray that they are just small or that the dates are off. It is comforting to hear that this does happen and things to do turn out okay. Thanks for being open and honest with symptoms. -Kristen
Just an update -- I posted this in October.  I am now 24 weeks pregnant with no problems.  The baby is growing fine, but measures consistent with the first ultrasound and not my last menstrual period.  I think I just conceived later in my cycle.  Hopefully that is encouraging for you.

I'm sending positive vibes to your pregnancies.  I know I've seen other posts since mine about measuring differently than your LMP predicts, and often everything turns out just fine.

TWINS!   I know it's hard to be excited when it is still early and things are unsure, but...How exciting!

Jeannette
I also had an ultrasound measure me way off just two days ago.  I have never missed a period in my life and my last date was March 10th, putting me at 10 weeks on Monday, May 19th.  However, no heartbeat was found, sent me down to do an ultrasound, only for the doctor to tell me that my baby was measuring at 5 weeks and 5 days!  Impossible because I found out that I was pregnant 5 weeks and 4 days ago and according to the "weeks" I would have conceived 2 weeks or so after that, meaning, that I would have conceived 3 weeks and 5 days ago, around.  

So we were unable to determine if the baby was still alive at that point because a heartbeat could not be detected.  It has to be 6 weeks along to tell that????  2 days short I guess.  

I have heard of baby's measuring smaller than you think you are, but this is almost way too small.  Anyone had a similar experience?  
omg, i hear you!!!!! i am still swearing that i am almost 23 weeks, but baby only measures 18! and it's annoying me b/c i've been faithful to my DF for the whole period of our relationship(well, in oct 2005 i was between him and someone else, but he knew gave me time to decide-there were complications lol-etc all that), and the dr says i HAD to concieve (conceive) between jan 25-feb 4 of 2008, and i keep screaming NO NO NO, because df wasn't in the country!!! and i missed my period in JANUARY!!! and df is not questioning paternity at all(we're trusting in this area very much so lol), and he agrees with me, that he felt movement at what the dr says would have been only 12 weeks! ok, it may have been gas, but i've felt it also! and i don't get gassy.....and i originally saw a midwife when *I* thought i was around 10 weeks, and she put me at 11.5 +/- days/weeks, with a FHB of 147, but my dr says no she is def wrong and that she doubled MY heartbeat!!!

*******i know this is the 35+ community, i'm only 25, but when i did a search for this, it gave me this thread, sorry********

I had u/s on 11/11/08 and was told that embryo was measuring 6w4d but by LMP, I should have been 8w5d.  Very nervous.  Have had 2 mc's, last one on 8/15/08-had D&C.  Had one cycle before trying again as I'm not getting any younger.  Dr scheduled another u/s in one week.  Ready to throw up i'm so nervous.  Can dates be off that much?  Especially after a mc.
Same situation with me.  Went in for ultra s said I was measuring 5 1/2 weeks, but I know my dates  say 7 weeks.  Found a heartbeat in one yolk sack but saw another empty one.  Very upsetting b/c I've already had one micarriage in the spring.  Have another ultra s in 2 weeks, just praying for the best.  It really helps to know we're not alone-it can be very scary.
MY FETUS is MEASURING TWO WEEKS EARLIER

Hi everyone.  Today I went for an ultrasound.  The doctor told me that according to my first day of my last menstrual period, today I'm 8 weeks and 1 day pregnant.  But he told me that the ultrasound shows only 6 weeks.  Since I got pregnant with the help of fertility treatment (medication and a shot of hormones to ovulate), the fertility doctor says that it can be a sign of that the baby comes with some chromosomal problem such as Down syndrome.  He asked me to go back in a week for another ultrasound to see how the fetus is doing.  He identified the fetal pole, the yolk sach and the heart beating.  

I'm very worried as this would be my first baby and I'm already 34 y.o.  The doctor asked me not to beat myself up and to stay positive.  He told me that what is going to happen will happen and that if something is wrong, mother nature will have a way of gettign rid of this pregnancy and that it would be the best.  Oh, well, I just hope that I get to have a healthy baby either with his pregnancy or a next one.  I will let you know what happened in a week when I see my fertility doctor again for the second ultrasound.  Blessings to everyone.  
I meant "with THIS pregnancy" and not "with his pregnancy".  Typing mistake.  Greetings everyone.
Hello everyone!  Well, I'm back to post my update.

Today (9 weeks 3 days pregnant) I went for my second ultrasound with my fertility doctor and he identified that the baby is the same size as last week (6 weeks 1 day) when it was already 2 weeks smaller.

Last week its heart was beating and today it was not anymore.  I got so sad and cried.

Now tomorrow I'm starting the medication to get rid of the dead fetus (1/2 cms.)  I'm thinking of trying again in a few months and hopefully I will be able to have a baby.

Blessings to everyone.
Hi....I am sorry for your loss, i can completely understand what you are going through.  I too went for my first ultrasound last week, baby measured 6 weeks when it should of been 9 weeks, I went back a week later and the u/s tech said baby was even smaller.  They never detected a heartbeat, don't know if fetus was too small or not alive anymore, they don't say much.  I go see my Dr. tomorrow, maybe he will give more details. I have a little hope, but I know it is probably false hope, no bleeding or cramping, just a broken heart.  
just want to share my experience: 7.6wks, fetus measuring 6.6wks with heart beat on aprivate scan, diminishing pregnancy symptoms. went to GP, beta hcg dropping, scan showed 7.1wk baby a week later, no fetal heartbeat. anyone rarely posts an outcome so wanted to share mine
First ultrasound was on February 15th. According to my calculations I was 6 Weeks 3 days pregnant. I have never gone in for an ultrasound before 8 weeks pregnant and I did not think they would do an ultrasound that early. When they took me in the room, I could see the monitor and a black hole. I told her I couldn't see the baby. She told me I wasn't far enough along and measured only 5 weeks 5 days along. I am pretty sure I know my cycles and dates so that worried me, but didn't seem to worry the Dr. at all. They said to come back and they'll do another ultrasound.

Anxiously waiting until February 24th, this time the monitor was not turned on and the ultrasound tech didn't say a word for the longest time. Then she said she was trying to get a good measurment on the heartbeat. I asked her, "Is there a heartbeat?" She said, "Yes". Although the baby is only measuring 6 weeks 2 days now, the heartbeat was 108 and again the Dr does not seem worried about anything. I still wonder how accurate the measuring is. If the baby is developing too slow, or if it's just tiny??? I know they can be off a bit with measuring, but it still seems wrong to me. So, Dr says I can come in again for another ultrasound March 3rd.
It could be the late implantations ladies
I went in for my ultrasound yesterday.  I was suppose to be 17 weeks and 3 days but the baby was measuring 1 week smaller.  I am really worried because I have had 3 miscarriages in a row and I just want a healthy baby.  Is it possible that everything is okay?  I know exactly when my period started and I'm sure exactly when I conceived so my dates should be right.  Tracy
I went to my obgyn for my first ultrasound today- seen a glimps of heartbeat but had trouble viewing it again. My dates from my last period and the ultrasound measurements do not match- about a week off- should I be worried? My obgyn asked for me to do blood work to check my hormone levels and another in two day because the hormone levels double every two day. I will know something in two days but until then- should I be worried? I am 5 1/2 weeks pregnant according to the ultrasound and I am sure about when my last period was. No bleeding. HELP/
I would not worry at this point. Measurements are not exact...so much depends on the skill of the technician and the quality of the ultrasound...Often the ultrasound machines in an OB office are portable and those do not give the clearest pictures and thus it is more difficult to get accurate emasurements.

The fact that you have a heartbeat is a good sign and means your risk of miscarriage is much lower.

So...relax :) (((hug)))
Hi everyone
the same thing happened to me last april and i was pushed into a DnC and ive never forgiven my self since as now id never know. i swear i was only 5 weeks but cause they think they know it all they hounded me to have surgery, my point is i think we know in our hearts and following your own instinks in matter's  like this is the best way sometimes.
take what they say into account of course but if its not ment to be then i feel your body will rid the baby its self, i certianlly would never go for a d n c again.
Hi all. Just reading the comments and I see it was started a while back but figured someone may still be checking the board. I am almost 20 weeks pregnant and baby is measuring 8 days small as of May 9th. Baby only measured 5 days small last u/s and before that 3-4 days small. Went to a specialist and found out that my test came back + for trisomy 18. The u/s showed no signs of this except small size. Had a hot spot in her heart but they say that is pretty common. I go back for u/s on Tuesday and I am pretty nervous. Anyone have this happen? Any other reason for baby to be getting smaller if dates are 100% accurate?
I went last week 11/3/11 for my first ultrasound. From my LMP I was suppose to be 9 weeks. The ultrasound showed the baby at 6 weeks and only measured at 5mm. I was told I miscarried. The next day I got a call saying to come back in a week for a second ultrasound because my dates could be just way off. There was no heartbeat detected. That would have to be almost 4 weeks difference. I'm still awaiting for this day to come to see if I have miscarried again or not. Oh, I miscarried in April. I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best. What can the chances be that I'm a whole month off from my LMP? I'm praying I see a heartbeat on the next ultrasound.
So much depends on your cycle. It is possible you ovulated late. I used to have a very irregular cycle (my daughter was born in July 1990...my LMP before I had her was August 1989!) so it is very possible that you ovulated late and you are not as far along in your pregnancy as you think.

Has your doctor done any blood tests to measure your beta hCG levels?
Thank you. I hope that's what it is. I have not had any blood work done. I haven't had any bleeding or cramping so I'm still hopeful.
just curious if u have any updates? I have just had my first scan after IVF.. so dates can not be wrong... and baby measures one week too small, but has a heartbeat. our doc basically told us she doesnt expect it to by next week. can they be wrong?? I HOPE SO!
in answer to my own question. the doctors were right. i went for follow up scan today, there was no heartbeat and fetus has shrunk. i guess mother nature was just saving us from have a little sick one. now to decide if we will let mother nature finish the job or do i have a d n c? hard choice... and  im scared about both options! too sad but i guess atleast we can try again! good luck to everyone! hope you all have more  positive results!
Misha, best of luck to you.  I did IVF once (4 embryos) and none made it as far as an ultrasound.  We had been considering going the donor egg route and after that, went for it.  We succeeded, and have the most amazing child now.  There is still hope.
I had my first u/s on 2/23/2012 at what was supposed to be 7w3d and the fetus measured 6w5d with a HB of 110 during a transadominal scan. I went back the next day and had both a trans vaginal and adominal (abdominal) scan and noticed that the fetus measured bigger on the TV scan. I was annoyed that the doctor didn't do that TV scan first. I am concerned that the measurements are behind but hope that the HB of 120 (on 2/24) continues to get stronger and that the fetus continues to grow. I have another u/s with a high risk OB on Monday, 2/27. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point.
Hey, i hope im not bothering anyone but im going through a similar problem and i dont know what i should do. Im 7 weeks 6 days pregnant i went to the E.R last night, because i was cramping, and kinda spotting. Well the doctor took my hormone levels and gave me an ultrasound, he said there was no heartbeat and that looks like my baby stopped growing at 6 weeks 0 days. i go back for some more testing to take and im spotting and cramping just like a period. Is there a chance the baby is still alive? or does it sound like a miscarriage; ive come to accept the situation but i would just like to hear someone elses opinion and if its been a success story for someone else; this is my first pregnant;

- thanks for listening- Journ
I am so sad today because of what i was told in the Er during my u/s. My LMP was on the 4/22/12. I visited the gyn on 6/8 n he said he said he couldn't see my fetus good but he saw the sac,on the 6/13 he did some blood work that shows little signs n saw the fetus but didn't tell me the measurement now today i went to the Er than the tech told me my sac measures 8weeks but the fetus is about 6-7 w and she cannot hear the heart beats because it's too early but from what she's seeing, she think everything should be ok.my 1st Pn app is on the 7/9 but am so disturb and cannot sleep and wondering what could be the reasons of all these mix measurement now ?
I had 2 kids to full term and one 8 months birth but they all were normal in all their sono but this 4th p is so peaceful, no morning sickness or any big changes except swallowing of the breasts and body gain.
Can somebody please shares their experience with me ? I really need to know please.
Confused
Confused
how did things turn out for you?
I had an early scan (at what i thought was 7 and a half weeks pregnant) due to some bleeding id had but when i had the U/S they measured the baby and 2mm and said i was a few days off 6 weeks pregnant because at 6 weeks it has to measure 5mm, there was a heartbeat seen (which cant be detected on an U/S until 6 weeks? so im told) and no free blood meaning no sign of miscarriage and my little one was doing fine, based on that scan i should be 10 weeks pregnant minimum but my midwife is dating my pregnancy at 12 weeks knowing what the scan showed? I just think that every baby develops at its own pace and sometimes theyre just too small to get an accurate measurement, and also having a full bladder effects the U/S results, so even the little details can confuse the results.
I hope your pregnancy went well and that you have a healthy baby to look after soon enough =)
Dont worry as long as your fetus have a strong heart beats and its growing up monthly..
I suppose to be 8 weeks pregnant by now back to my last period..but my ultra sound showed a very tiny fetus with no heart beat yet!!
My doc asked for another hcg blood test and an extra ultrasound next week..
Wish me luck plesse ladies
I m 40 weeks 5 days and two weeks ago they said baby was measuring small and now they say oh  the baby is looking big so dont worry the baby will grow in the late few weeks
I am 1/2 centermeter dialated and 85% effaced.
I have similar situation   I do not have regular cycles either. When I initial went in for OB appt they said that I was due late October and when I went in for first ultrasound which was supposedly  at 8w3d they told me I was only 6w5d. I am very confused due tithe fact that they are saying that I conceived somewhere between Feb 21-23 but I took an at home test on Feb 22nd and it was positive. So I know that I am at least 7-10 days further if not a little more .  
Sorry lol
I'd also like to add that at that appt they measured the bmp at 141. From what I have read that is really high for 6w5d
I had a healty little girl 5yrs ago, next i miscarried at 7wks on my own. Then i had a healthy boy 2 1/2 yrs ago, then i got pregnant again & bled one gush at 7wks but that was all. i went in for ultrasound & baby was only measuring 5 wks. i average 34 day cycles but had done ovulation testing trying to get preg so i knew my date couldnt be that far off. Did Hcg testing and was continuing to climb. Went in for 9wk but was only measuring 6wks but found a heartbeat. yea! started getting morning sickness which was good sign. then i went in for 12 wk & baby had stopped growing at 7wks & no heartbeat. took a pill & passed on my own. horrible pain & sucked but quick and better than d&c i think. anyway bled for a month, had a period did my ovulation testing again. yea pregnant again & went in for my 8wk 5day appt last wk. started getting morning sickness & 24/7 nautious like i was with my son. thought i was safe according to my every other track... i didnt test positve til after 36 days. Found a heartbeat but only measuring 6wks & 2days again just like last time. I am devastated & frustrated. dr said he wouldnt even bother doing hcg testing this time but i get another ultrasound next Friday. i heard sometimes low Progesterone levels can cause miscarraiges. My levels were very low. usually they try to put you on progesterone doses as earlier around 5 to 10wks but he decided to try anyway so i insert twice daily. insertion absorbs exactly where needed with less side effects. anyway still feeling horribly nautious & anemic but anxiously awaiting to see how much growth i see friday! Im not hopefull but secretly I am.