Pregnancy 35+ Community
how long does drugs stay in a newborns urine?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I'm not saying this is for myself....I just REALLY need to know.

If a mother is smoking crack-cocaine while she's pregnant and if after she delivers the baby's urine is bagged, how long does it take for the drugs to come out of the baby's system?

I know they generally say for the actual user, it's like 3 days or whatever. What about the baby? If the mother drinks a TON of water, does that help the baby too?

Thanks a bunch for any and all help.

you know someone that is doing this while pg?  such a shame that the only thing you are concerned about is if they will know and hopefully take that baby from that poor excuse of a mom.  i dont know the answer see i dont even like to take tylenol while pg. i hope your friend can try to get help before this baby is born, it will suffer withdrawls, have problems that might show up right away or later on.  im sickened by people who get pg and then continue their pregnancy to make a poor drug baby.  
let alone have HIGH percentage of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)!!! LORD!!! Tell your friend that she needs to check into drug rehab before it is too late! And next time she decides to have a baby she should take care of her drug problem. And No drinking a TON of water WILL NOT HELP!!!!!! Does she not realize that her baby's immune system isn't half of what hers is????? I pray for that baby.... as it sounds like there is NO HOPE FOR THE MOTHER!!!!!!
Yeh, and I just gave birth to twin daughters at 20 weeks, both dead.  And here are some people smoking crack while pregnant with these little miracles.  Its a sad world sometimes.  I feel sorry for this unborn child who will be born into a world growing up with her mothers mistakes.  Your question "If the mother drinks a TON of water, does that help the baby too?"  

Answer: STOP SMOKING CRACK...THAT WILL HELP THE BABY!!

If cocaine is used during early pregnancy, the woman is more likely to experience a miscarriage. However, if the pregnancy continues, the baby may have abnormal defects of their heart, genitals, kidneys and/or bladder. This is because cocaine passes from the mother's body into the baby's blood stream, making the baby's blood pressure rise and their blood vessels constrict. This sudden loss of oxygen can damage the unborn babies growing cells. If a woman continues to use cocaine during her pregnancy there is a greater chance of:

Placental problems.The placenta is the organ that provides oxygen and nourishment for the baby while they are inside the uterus (also known as the 'afterbirth'). Women who continue to use cocaine are more likely to experience bleeding during their pregnancy and/or a complication where the placenta lifts off the wall of the uterus during pregnancy or labour (known as a 'placental abruption'). This is a life-threatening complication for both the mother and her baby.
Premature birth.Cocaine use is closely related to a baby being born prematurely. This can lead to many other health concerns for the baby, because they were not ready to be born, and many of their body organs are immature (particularly their lungs). Women who use cocaine are also more likely to experience a 'precipitate labour'. This is where the baby is born after an abnormally short, intense labour. You can read more in fast labour and birth.
Small babies.Sudden rises in the woman's blood pressure can cause parts of the placenta to die, meaning it is less efficient at providing the baby with oxygen and nutrients. This interferes with their normal growth and development while they are inside their mother's womb, causing them to be what is called 'small for dates'. Less oxygen through the placenta also increases the likelihood that the baby will become distressed during the labour. This often leads to interventions by caregivers to deliver the baby more rapidly, using forceps or a ventouse or a Caesarean operation.
Unwell baby.Babies born to mothers who have used cocaine at various stages of their pregnancy are more likely to experience a range of health problems. They can be born with gangrenous fingers and toes (due to their blood vessels constricting while in the uterus) and may develop what is medical known as 'brain holes' or spaces in their brain. This can cause their brain activity to be altered, and make them very irritable, as well as display disorganised perceptions, such as seeing the world is threatening and frightening. If the baby is touched they will often stiffen and let out a high-pitched scream. These babies need plenty of patience and understanding, especially for the first few weeks after the birth. A baby withdrawing from cocaine needs to be cared for in the intensive care nursery for several days to weeks.
Stillbirth. Cocaine use is capable of causing the death of an otherwise healthy baby, either during pregnancy or the labour. You may wish to read baby dying during the pregnancy or stillborn baby.
Cocaine passes readily through breast milk to the baby. If the mother uses cocaine while breastfeeding, they will become intoxicated and sometimes have a convulsion or fit. This is because babies have difficulty metabolising cocaine, leading to the drug building up in their system. Women who occasionally use cocaine should not breastfeed their baby for at least 24 hours afterwards, either using breast milk that has been previously expressed and stored  and unaffected by the drug (or substituting with formula milk). She would need to express and discard the milk she would normally have fed her baby during this time, to keep up her milk supply. Regular users of cocaine are usually advised not to breastfeed.
i pray they follical test, you can go back 7 years did you know that?  they will know every little thing that was put into that mothers system .  then i pray they sterilize that mom so she cant harm any more babies.  it should be a felony child endagerment in my opinion.  
I second that!!
maybe i should run for president.....
You should! I would nominate you!! I could be vice president!...lol
ugh and we have to suffer MC when we do everything right

Perty for president :O)  where shall we campaign next
Get off your high horses you dont know cause you've never been there. Poeple that are addicts are sick and it is very hard for them to stop. Sometimes rehab doesnt even help. You haven't been there, which is good for, but don't put someone down if you can't empathize.
Maybe its hard for them to stop!!!!!!! but they have a dam brain and know to get help!!! especially if they are pg. I lived with an addict for years unfortunetly! and male  but they dam well no right from wrong and yes  they may have a very hard time controlling their urges that is why they NO to get help! I dont think anyone was critizing the addiction itself just the actions of the mothers wreckless actions to the unborn child! I pray for that baby and for some intervention for the mother! before its to late.
Nice info Patty! hopefully  that poster will read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh come on. Yes, addiction is a disease. But not a disease like cancer, diabetes, or MS. "Addicition is a disease" is what drug addicts or former drug addicts to make themselves feel better. If it's a disease get treatment, prevention just like any other disease. If you want to smoke crack, fine. If you want to snort cocaine, fine. But do it on your own time. And stop having babies that we all have to pay for because you spend your last dime on drugs. The women here have the right to cast shame, many of us have been through soooo much to have babies.
Well, I'm going to risk commenting on this...addiction is a very very powerful thing.  I work daily with many women who are pregnant and addicted.  They cry as they know they shouldn't be using while pregnant, and trust me, it's not what they want to be doing.  In all honesty, many of us believe it is a disease equivelant to cancer or such.  It is powerful and it is terminal.  I don't think its ok, but I try to understand and we try to get them into treatment. Here, if a baby is born addicted, it will be removed from the mom and placed in foster care.  It is such a sad situation, and no one wins.  Beating the addiction is just not that easy for many of them.  I too want a baby more then anything, and its really hard for me to understand how anyone could do anything to risk their babies health.  But, unless I have walked in their shoes, I try not to judge.
My only comment is this... Addiction may be a disease.  Taking any sort of addicting drug is a choice to begin with.  Having sex is a choice.  Sex creates babies.  If you are an addict, you should CHOOSE not to have sex.  If you want to have sex and risk the chance of getting pregnant, don't do drugs.  Both are a choice - selfish people choose both. Responsible people make the decision.  
I too work with women who are addicts. In my business I see the end result day in day out. I see 1000 of children in foster care, 100 of children abused physically, and sexually. Many of these women have no idea who the father is, or continue to have babies because they know someone else will take care of them. Mostly due to some form of drug abuse. So NO i have no sympathy for these women. Addiction maybe a difficult problem to overcome, however a person makes the choice to take drugs. A person does not make the choice to get cancer. I judge because I see everyday the effects these addicted mother's do to children. I see the cycle continue over and over again. Put the crack pipe down and hug your child.
I second Amanda (adgal). I'm a probation officer in a drug court and work with addicts on a daily basis. Are they weak? Yes. Manipulative? Yes. Irresponsible and stupid? Yes. But addiction IS a disease JUST as bad as cancer or diabetes. And, like other diseases, it has to be treated. And sometimes the treatment is successful, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it breaks my heart to see these people that want SO BAD to get better and they just HATE themselves. But, yes...if they can't stop using, their kids SHOULD be taken away. And I, too, hurt for those poor babies born to women who can't put their babies before their addiction. But I guess I can see both sides of it, and it's heartbreaking from all angles.

That said, to answer the question, cocaine can be found in the baby's urine for up to about 5 days. As someone else said, if they decide to do a hair follicle test, cocaine will be detected as far back as that hair existed.
This is an OLD post that someone recently replied to. The original poster will probably never be back.
I have a friend that's 24 she stop smoking crack. When she was 4 months if she stop smoking the rest of her pregnancy will the baby b tested negative
Yes, I would think so.  But it is extremely extremely important that she work with her Dr. both in quitting and in monitoring the babies overall health (and hers).  There are programs to help her stay off of the drug as well that would more then likely be of huge benefit.  

Please tell your friend that Dr.s do not judge, but are more interested in the welfare of the baby and the mother.  It is very important she be honest with her Dr. and seek assistance with quitting.  Quitting most drugs cold turkey while pregnant can have dangerous consequences and can result in miscarriage.  
I know in my state there are programs for women with drug problems who are pregnent.  Please encourage her to get help immediately.  She has the rest of her life to do all the drugs she wishes- but while she is pregnant- something she could have controlled- she owes that baby a healthy start.
U dnt kno wat dus women went thru u dnt kno if  she could even control her habits before she got pregnant yal are harsh and judgemental ppl dat God tlk about in the bible instead if judgeing her give her places,she can go for help....i did drugs instead of killings myself I was hurt,bad got herpes from a man dat luv me ,supposely and dats the only thing I,could,turn to so,how,u,feel now
And a addiction is,just as worst as any diease u better ask,a doctor it in ur head body and soul killing u frm every part
It stays in their system about 1-2 weeks depending on how frequent it was used...
Very old post at the near top of my feed... After reading, I wonder what happened to the baby? ('_')
I slipped up and used oxycodone one time literally when I was 28 weeks pregnant im due in the end of june and have been clean for about a month now is there anyway her urine will test positive for that or could it be out of her urine by june ?
I don't do any drugs and quit smoking cigarettes as soon as i found out about my pregnancy (4 1/2 months) but my mother didn't smoke crack cocaine but she did other drugs. now thanks to her i have severe a.d.d. my teeth look worse thank a 30year drunks...I'm only 18 and i was lucky to get pregnant because of she did, my fertility rate droppedby a lot...tell who ever it is to stop before they ruin their child's life...