Pregnancy 35+ Community
metformin and prenatal vitamins
About This Community:

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

metformin and prenatal vitamins

I am currently ttc taking metformin wondering if prenatal vitamins or folic acid will cause harm?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1521759_tn?1298341265
I have read that taking Prenatal & Folic acid is good when you are TTC
I tool them before I got pregnant. Good luck
Blank
I looked metformin up in Mosby's Drug Guide for Nurses 9th Edition and there is no mention of any interaction with vitamins. There is a mention that metformin can cause Vit B12 deficiency. Also if you take an estrogen supplement it can increase your risk for hypoglycemia.

There is a long list of herbs that interact with metformin, however, so choose a prenatal vitamin that does not have herbs. I would type it out but it is a pretty long list LOL. I checked my prenatal vitamin's ingredients and none of the ingredients are on the list of things that interact with metformin (I am taking NatureMade Prenatal Milti + DHA).

To be safe, buy your vitamins at a pharmacy and speak to a Pharmacist (not a tech, the actual Doctor of Pharmacy or PharmD) about the medication you are taking and any possible interactions with the vitamins you are considering. If you start taking fertility drugs, make sure your doc knows about all your medications.

Good luck to you!
Blank
My husband is diabetic and used to take Metformin, while he was taking numerous supplements including 400 mg of folic acid a day. I think his doctor okay-ed them. But like Christine said, check with your local pharmacist or doctor to be on the safe side. Good luck!
Blank
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pregnancy 35+ Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979