PREGNANCY 35+
COMMUNITY
no heartbeat at 6 weeks and 4 days.
by heemee, Sep 15, 2011
Hi everyone, I am 6weeks and 4 days pregnant and i had a transvaginal ultrasound today they saw the sac and the fetus but could not find a heartbeat. Should I be worried or is it maybe to early to detect the heart beat? I'm a nervous wreck at this point, we have been trying for 2 years to get pregnant and now no heartbeat!!!! I go back on Monday the 19th to get another u/s. Please pray for us that they see a heartbeat.
Member Comments (16)
by aimwade, Sep 16, 2011
That also happened to me at 6 wks 3 days.  I went back a week later and the heartbeat was very strong.  The ability to see things can also depend on the age of the machinery.  Don't stress too much!
by heemee, Sep 16, 2011
thank you so much for the encouragement. I was feeling really down.
by adgalBlank, Sep 16, 2011
Your right on that border.  The heartbeat typically will start between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 weeks.  So all it takes is a late ovulation or late implantation, and it can start later then you might expect to see it.  That fetus is growing so quickly right now, and you would be amazed at the difference a few days can make.  Was there a reason they did an ultrasound so early?  I just feel that doing one before 7 weeks can really cause unnecessary worry.  And I assume they are repeating in a week or so?  I'm sure all is fine.  
by heemee, Sep 18, 2011
Thanks, I just assumed all of this is a normal routine. The baby's size is on point but they couldn't find a hearbeat. Yes I do go back on 9/20 for another ultrasound thanks again your right my last period was 3 days early so maybe it is a little off a few days. I just hope I get a good result when I go back on Monday. I have been praying really hard that is wasn't time for them to hear the heart beat yet, but it will be stronger then ever when I go back.
by adgalBlank, Sep 18, 2011
If it was measuring correctly, that is a good sign.  Most times in a non viable pregnancy, growth will have stopped earlier.  So you have an ultrasound thinking your 6 weeks, and the sac is measuring 4.  

I guess for some Dr's 6 weeks is routine, but more commonly a viability ultrasound is 7 or 8 weeks to avoid exactly what your going through.  I'm glad your going back monday, and I bet all is just fine.  Don't forget to update us!!
by sebastian1976, Sep 19, 2011
Don't worry it happens I was 7 1/2 weeks when the Dr. was able to hear a heart beat. Good luck on your pregnacy always think positive :)
by heemee, Sep 23, 2011
Thank you all for the responses, I did go back and the baby had no blood flow or heartbeat i had to have lamineria placed in cervix to dilate and then the next day they did a d&e so the fetus died at 6wks and 5 days. I have been going thru different emotions and really don't quite understand everything yet. I'm feeling very depressed right now. They sent it away to be tested and hopefully I can get some answers as to what went wrong.
by stacey10, Sep 23, 2011
I am sorry for your loss and I had this happen to me twice, I thought I was 6wk and was measured at just over 4 wks, then I thought I was 8 wks and bub measured 6 wks, it can be very disheartening when this happens,  but I then went on to have a healthy bub so I'm sure this will happen for you to.
by adgalBlank, Sep 24, 2011
I am so very sorry.  I too have been through this, and I know it's a very difficult time.  Please know that often there are no real answers as to what went wrong.  It's just sadly something that happens to far more pregnancies then most of us even realize.  However, the good news is, most of us do go on to have healthy pregnancies even after a loss.  Take the time you need to grieve, and be good to yourself.  Take care.