Pregnancy 35+ Community
on Clomid, when is "first day"?

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

on Clomid, when is "first day"?

I am supposed to take the Clomid on days 3 thru 5.  However, generally I spot for a couple of days before I actually start flowing (generally spotting bright red when I have a bm, and then brownish discharge the rest of the time) and when I flow it is for 4-5 days. Is the day that I start spotting day 1, or is the day when I start flowing?
I've taken both times, and been tested for progestrone on day 21 - so they tell me I'm ovulating... but not preg. as yet.
I've been taking it 8 months now - and up to 3 pills a day (some of the time has been because of bad timing on our part and not using the tests to see when I'm ovulating). But I have to wonder if I'm taking the medication on the wrong days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Hi, I was told initially to start my clomid on day 5 and then it was moved to day 3.. I was told to take it on the days the flow started and not to count the spotting days. I would question it with your dr... it all gets v confusing but guess you are somehow managing to work out what day you are if you can pinpoint CD21 for your progesterone levels!! Good luck... hope someone can give you some more useful info.
I took clomid on day 3 and took day one as being the first spotting even if it wasn't full flow. eg if I started coming on tuesday night I counted tues as day one. The doctor told me to calculate this as your period has effectively started.
hmmm, I wonder if the clomid changes the way we cycle.  I admit that before clomid I was very irregular, and AF was always a surprise.  It's only after I've taken the clomid that I spot a few days before.  I guess I should be grateful for the warning, but it does make it confusing.
Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate it!
Hi - me again!! I saw that Tivey has been given advice from me so questioned it with the fertility clinic I am under... they said - the reason they told me to count day 1 when I got 'flow' rather than 'spotting' was because they want to make sure you are definately NOT pregnant before another dose of Clomid...spotting can be a sign of early pregnancy of not followed by AF and taking Clomid when pregnant is dangerous to the baby.

However, if you are certain you are NOT pregnant and this has been confirmed by BETA blood test then you can count the spotting as day 1.

To be honest I am as confused as you!!! I have been taking clomid for 3 cycles and not pregnant! Good luck :)