Pregnancy 35+ Community
packing for hospital

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

packing for hospital

For those of you who already have been through childbirth-what should I be packing in my hospital bag for the baby?  For instance, do I need to pack things for him to wear in the hospital?  Especially if he comes early, which he is threatening to do, and he has to be in the hospital for a while, does he need onesies, or..?   I know he will need a "going home" outfit-what do you suggest for this? Diapers?
I'd just pack and outfit for your baby to wear home and the hospital will put new gowns on your baby the whole time you are there and they will give you diapers and all the necessities like those sucker things for their noses, formula if you don't b/f but you can bring you own clothes if you want but it's just almost easier to use theirs.
LOLO !! I remember packing my hospital bag when I was only six months, you would of thought I was J-Lo--I had so much!!  Once you have your baby, you're not going to care what he/she's wearing...and I mean that in nice/joking way!  I remember I packed 4 outfits for my son, they all had cute matching hats/mittens/booties...tons of snaps...and he never wore any of them except the newborn baby gown I brought.  Pack something very comfortable like a onesie, or a baby gown...something with easy access!  The hospital will let you keep alot of things, diapers, blankets, formula.  My hospital gave me a diaper bag full of stuff...Don't overpack for baby, and especially don't overpack for yourself...you're going to have plenty of things to carry out, including that little bundle of joy!!  Good Luck!
same thing here I packed my bags with way to much my twins didn't even wear the stuuf I took I was  so out of it I was happy with whatever the nurses put on them
Oh yeah.. I packed Brayden a "first outfit", a "picture outfit", and a "going home outfit". We only stayed 24 hours exactly so he only wore one outfit! Just so happened that it was his first that I put on him..  they took his picture right before we left so then it was also his going home outfit too...lol Truth is.. they get flopped around enough, I'm so glad I didn't change his outfit 3 times because that is the norm..lol

I would definitely make sure I have all the necessities for myself and very little for the baby. You will have everything that is absolutely needed for the baby in the hospital and so the only thing you really need to take would be a car seat, ONE outfit, and maybe an empty diaper bag to take home all the goodies they give you in the hospital. Even if you don't take a diaper bag, they will give you something to take everything home in. They gave me the cutest little bag that had ladybugs on it! Kinda girly but it worked for extra things we had to carry out!
.........and don't forget those sexy pads for you too (you know, the incontinence size ones!!)
what I loved to pack for me was my towels....  I hate how small the hospital ones are so I bought new ones and washed them so they smelled like home..  it was wonderful..  as far the baby is concerned, I packed my own pacifier,  so i didn't have to worry about losing the hospital one when we got home he got used to mine right away, lotions, and a normal diaper bag,  they will provide you with a lot if you are in the US..  at least the did for me..  
My dear sister recommended buying adult size diapers (you know depends) so that you will be more comfortable than wearing an extra large pad that leaves you worrying if you are bleeding all over the place.  Just a thought.  
i packed like a mad woman and i am happy i did! I packed like 8 undershirts for DS and 8 outfits including socks...etc...diapers(which i didnt need) wipes.. i needed...(i went home and ALL 8 outfits were dirty and covered in puke) DS was sick soo bad because they overfed him...

I packed a book to write stuff about my pregnancy in...some pads and undies...basically i packed incase i got a csection! induction often results in csections...i didnt want anyone going through my things...but yeah...i packed breast pads, my tooth brush toothpaste..clothes a few pjays...
Best thing we packed was a lunch for hubby - we also stopped on the way to the hospital and picked up one local and one national newspaper - by having food, he didn't have to leave the room often - the newspapers gave him something to read and then became a part of Abby's scrapbook - what was happening on the day she was born

And DON'T forget your camera, an extra memory card just in case - the only other thing I did was in advance, I typed up a page with all the phone numbers (home, work and cell) for the people we had to call - you will forget names and numbers - at the top of the page I wrote "Abigail Rose Wilkes Shiles was born ____________________  at _____ am/pm.  She weighed ___________ lbs and was ________inches long"  That way when Daddy made calls, he only had to fill in the blanks and had all the info handy when people asked