Pregnancy 35+ Community
risk of pregnancy at 36

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

risk of pregnancy at 36

Kindly advise what steps should be taken for being first time pregnant at age 36. Now I am one month pregnant.  Worried about down syndrome.
Hello and congratulations on your first pregnancy!  I became pregnant for the first time at 42.  I was also scared, nervous and concerned of downs and miscarriage.  After 35, we are considered high risk and you will hear lots of scary statistics to make you worry...but don't!  You will find on this forum many women in your shoes now, or have been, that went on to deliver healthy, normal beautiful babies!  You will also be given the option along the way to have invasive tests performed, CVS, Amnio...this will be a tough decision for you to make, and again, if you read through the many pages of this forum you will find many different pro and con discussions regarding these tests.  Try not to worry...just take extra special care of you, take good prenatals, quit all bad habits, and enjoy your pregnancy, week by week and month by month!  Your OB/GYN will keep you informed of any and all tests or blood test you'll need to get along the way.  Oh, and for some reason you're not comfortable with the OB you have, please switch!!!  He/she will be a big part of your life for the next 9 months, and you'll want to have a good match and rapport with your Doctor of choice!  Keep us posted!  Best Wishes to you!  Pam

I'm 38 and 7 months pregnant with my first.  36 is no worries.  Just make sure you are overall healthy and enjoy your pregnancy.  Don't also feel forced to doing testing - really it is not necessary for most of us and your baby should be fine.
Congrats to you and welcome!!  Having a baby at 36 is extremely common now.  As Pam said, there are a multitude of tests available to you to ensure your baby is born healthy!  Your OB can advise you as to which ones make the most sense for you.  Other than that, just do the normal "pregnant" things.  Take your pre natal vitamins, eat properly, avoid alcohol, smoking, etc.  A great book is "What to Expect When You're Expecting".  Most bookstores will carry it.

All the best to you!!
Congratulations, I had my first son at 36 yrs old. I was worried to death because of all the tests, I chose not do the amnio because I was advised against it. My son was born at 38 wks and was healthy.  I am now 38 and 4 months pregnant with twins, I am just praying they will follow in their big brothers foot steps. Welcome to the board.
Hello and Welcome!

I'm pregnant with my third child at age 51, so don't feel like you are old. This is actually the easiest pregnancy I've had. The other two were pretty easy too, but I had some nausea with my first son and queasiness with my second without actually getting sick. Take good care of yourself. We live in the country. I try to walk every day about a mile and eat very healthy food and we grow a garden every year.

Don't let doctors scare you by all the statistics or pressure you into having tests if you are hesitant about having them. We elected not to have any of the genetic screening tests because we wouldn't end this pregnancy even if our baby has problems. Our doctor was respectful about our decision.

~Susan
At 36...you're still a baby!Don't worry,all the ladies here are right,follow their advice and find a good doctor.I had my baby at 41,never thought that I would be one of those older mommies but here  I am,this is what I am,but this happiness is all that counts.
It's my birthday today and I am turning 38 and pregnant for the first time.  I am approximatly 5+ weeks and have been reading all the cautions for women over 35.  Thank you all for all of the words of support and explanation, it means so very much!!

We are really excited. :o)
LT64 I am in the exact same boat as you.  I am 36 and 8 weeks pregnant for the first time.  We go for our first ultrasound on Thursday.  Just praying the doc says everything looks right.  I am also concerned about being "high risk" but look forward to talking with my Doc on Thursday.  

Nervous and excited.
We were also worried about me being a "high risk" pregnancy. When we first met with my OB-Gyn after my pregnancy had already been confirmed by a nurse practitioner, my husband asked him if being pregnant at my age (51) will be risky to my health. My doctor said," Why? She's healthy!" He expects that I can have a normal delivery too.

I think if we lived a hundred years ago it would be much more common to see older women having babies. Many women used to have children until they were too old to have any more. In our anti-child culture, children are often looked on as burdens instead of as gifts from God.
"Children are a blessing from the Lord. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them."  
~Susan
congrats.  36 is still young..  may you have a happy and healthy pregnancy..