Pregnancy 35+ Community
sushi crave

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

sushi crave

I heard that sushi is not safe to be eaten when pregnant.. is that true? im craving for it out of sudden..
I've been craving it as well. I was told no. Due to it being easier to get food poisoning from as well as mercury levels in some of the fish. I'm making it ky first dinner our celebratory meal after baby.
Is it ok to get the sushi which has vege filling instead of the fish? Like with the crabmeat n those cucumbers?
As long as there is no cross contamination.  .which if they use the same cutting board, there will be.
With my 13 yr old,  I at sushi 3x per week the entire pregnancy.  Had no problems at all.  When pregnant with 2 yr old,  at sushi once a week again for entire pregnancy.  No problems.  I continue to eat sushi this pregnancy.  Not as much,  a couple times a month.  Don't anticipate any issues.  If you are craving it,  your body may be lacking nutrients sushi has.  Raw fish is one of the healthiest foods you can eat.  I even make it at home.
What's even funnier is that both kids are addicted to sushi .  The two year old starts shaking I put  a salmon roll in front of her...lol.
I craved it my first pregnancy so I bought the fresh ingredients and made it at home myself! It was win win! I fed the craving and knew it was safe! Plus it's not that hard to make!
Ask your doc some sea food is actually ok to eat when pregnant but ask your doc or midwife which ones specifically are ok
U made urself? mind to share some recipe with me? *winkz* ;)
The most important thing is to buy raw fish that comes from salt water.  Fresh water fish has bacteria that is compatible with our body and will get you sick.  You can find sushimi grade fish at any Asian market.  The biggest one by me is super h Mart.  It is a chain in Illinois.  You can buy the seaweed and everything else needed.  We also get cooked eel in the teriyaki sauce already made.  The hardest thing is making the rice .  After cooked you have to add a vinegar and sugar mixture to it.   This gives the rice flavor and makes it sticky.  You can add just about any veggie.  Sometimes I add leftover tofu or shrimp tempura.  
I also added fresh grated carrot, avocado, cucumber and for a fish free one cook some chicken and shred the meat! I buy rice wine vinegar for the rice, buy it at any Asian store or super market the stocks Asian foods. You also need a bamboo mat to roll it. Place your seaweed on the mat then a layer of rice all over, then a line of your filling about a half inch from the end, have fun rolling. There are probably heaps if recipes you could google, but as far as I beleive is its up to the individual.
Have fun xx