Pregnancy 35+ Community
time to shop

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

time to shop

ok.. where is everyone buying there baby items? I pretty much have the outfits done with. smile I am in need of the big items now. highchair, swing, carseat, etc..
Iam so out of touch with the new items out there. I guess I need to get a cosumers report book. I kept my crib and craddle for my daughter one day!  now, didnt that come in handy for me? I just need to buy new matresses.
My brother and sister both had their children before us so we, fortunately, received some nice hand-me-downs: crib, dresser, highchair, exersaucer, jumper. And we received several nice items at our first baby's shower too: stroller, car seat, swing, monitors, carrier, etc. Otherwise, I try to shop around for the best deals from different stores. Have fun shopping!  By the way, Target seems to have the best prices on diapers here, in fact, I have to stop in today for another box. My sister in law uses 1800diapers.com. I haven't looked into ordering diapers online yet, but maybe will once this baby is here.
Things change so fast even in between my kids but I have asked friends for advice on certain things.  The diaper champ seems to be popular over the diaper genie b/c it takes regular trash bags and i'm all about convenience.  Also, some of the new baby swings only operate in recline mode so make sure you get one that adjust to sit up so you can use it longer.  Babies get frustrated once they are a few months old if they can't sit up.  I've heard the bumbo seats are better than the bebe pod b/c there is more grip.  I already bought 2 jumperoo's.  Bouncy seats are a MUST and I like the ones that vibrate w/ a toy bar that can be removed.  Hmmmm...i could go on but I hope this helps.  I'm all about being practical.  Also research products on line and get reviews b/c that has helped me.  I also recommend registering at more than one place so its convenient and people have more choices.  We are registering at Babies R Us and Target (although I hate their return policy so beware!).  

Good Luck!
I haven't bought a single thing! haha still holding out hope that it will be a boy and don't want to buy all pink just yet hahah
oh and watch the crib.. there are new guidelines for the open area between the bars and also rounded edges so that if babies climb out they don't get strangled..  be carful... sometimes it is better to just buy new
Here the link to stroller/car seat I'm getting: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2449546

Here is the link to the swing I'm getting:  
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2265268

Here is the link to the bouncer I'm getting:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2715552
But I also like this one too:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2749009

If you are looking for a chair to put in the nursery I ordered a Best Chair. You will need to find a local deal to order it through.  Here is the link:
http://www.bestchairs.com/bcpublic/productLine.do?product=JU&style=&forward=Storytime

I'm waiting on the high chair.  Good luck to you!! The consumer books are good.  I also read the reviews on the babies r us web page.

Good luck
love, love. love all the information... Im taking my note. thanx.... bring some more on...really helps me cheat on the reserching part. and all about saving money!!!
yea... I guess I will need  a new crib. I read there not even using bumper pads anymore. Mine will be sleeping next to me in my bed room in a craddle till shes over the SIDs stage... breast feeding is every 2/3 hours. so, its really a must that she is with me.. I couldnt imagin going in her room every few hours...
Here is a link to a picture of the crib I got. I didn't get the armoire in the picture, but I did get a smaller dresser/changing table that goes with it.  I also did not pay anywhere near what this listing says.  I got it from babies r us for much less, but they don't have a picture of it on their web page. In the store it is called Contempo Combo crib set.

http://www.usababy.com/productreview/bonavita/avante01.html
The Snuggle Nest was great because I could have baby right next to me all night, safely, for the first couple of months for easy breastfeeding in the middle of the night. A portable playard with full size bassinet was great for when we napped during the day in the living room during those first couple of weeks. And the playard is great for overnights at grandparents' houses and hotels because we do not trust hotel rental cribs. We bought a changing table that is also a dresser so when baby is out of the diaper stage, the dresser can still be used. A vibrating bouncy seat is a must for the infant stage, as well as a play center baby can lay under, and an exersaucer when baby is a few months old.

We will need to buy a new baby monitor for this baby as the other one is 8 years old and not all the features work anymore. I'd also love a new stroller, or at least ask my sister to sew a new, cuter slipcover for the cushion on our 8 year old boring one.
hmmm... where to start from?!?!?!
well... i never had little brothers or sisters, nor younger cousins... so I was the baby! until i was like 18 and then my best friend had a little girl... i learned a lot since the father of the baby was MIA.... i was the 'daddy' there.... ya know, we'd take her (both) to the park, and to places, i'd change the diapers... my best friend (was so young) got kicked out of her house for a while so, she'd stay with me and she couldn't afford a crib, so she slept with the baby in the bed...

ANYWAY! needless to say, i have 0 experience with baby stuff..... but i've researched some and starting to buy things little by little... i bought online a round bassinet (adorable) with a boppy pillow for $70 (bassinet is big! almost like a crib) and i got a BRAND NEW pink adorable travel system (graco alano) online at craigslist dot com... a lady got two of the same in her baby shower and was selling it for $90!!! such a steal! i saw those at target for $150!!!
anyway, some little adorable outfits (including a little ruffle mini skirt...) at carter's for 3 bucks or less (they were on sale that night) and shoes (her first pair of shoes!! aweeee with a puppy in the front)... all kinds of pajamas... and onesies... for a couple bucks also..
I am waiting for my babyshower... (this sunday) because you get quite a bit there too.... me and hubby were eyeballing some of those fancy baby bottles (that keep the air out making a vaccum system inside so the baby doesn't swallow air...) and some ergonomic pacifiers.
We also, went out and bought baby's first gift from mommy and daddy and bought her a pink plush blanket (so soft!) and a security matching one!
My mom has made ALL KINDS of sweaters, blankets, crib sets.... OMG! adorable things!!!
We don't have much money right now... in fact we are struggling bad... but we are making the best out of it by getting hand-downs and stuff online....=)
I've ordered things like outfits (sleepers, gowns, bottles, etc) from Amazon and Target.  The stroller/carseat also came from Target.

The baby furniture (crib, dresser/changing table/armoire) I ordered from simplybabyfurniture.com.  They have free shipping.

i've yet to buy some other items as I've gotten other stuff like boppy chair (I think that's what it's called), play yard, etc from my sister.  I'm taking Tanker's advice and getting the rocker from bestchair.com through a dealer.
Well I just had a baby 2 years ago and I still have the Crib and some of the clothes, but we had thought we were done, and changed our minds when my father in law got terminally ill, we were trying to give him a grandson to carry on the family name, but it ended up being a girl and I had already given away the newborn clothes, so I found this awesome consignment shop called the Children's Orchard and have found some great things there. I am having a hard time finding a double stroler that will accomidate a toddler and a newborn?? Does anyone have any suggestions???
girl, check out craigslist.org!!!