Pregnancy 35+ Community
vitamin A and pregnancy

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

vitamin A and pregnancy

I am pregnant and confused about the vitamin A limit. I know that 10,000 is upper limit however i am confused as to what that includes, both types of vitamin A or just Preformed? I have heard that the limit includes preformed,cartenoids but I have also heard that the limit only includes preformed and there is no limit for cartenoids from fruits and vegetables. The reason I ask is my prenatal has 5000IU (100 % beta carotene) and im wondering if that is included in the 10,000 IU limit? If so it seems extremely easy to go over 10,000 limit....anyone familiar with this subject
I'm sorry, I can't be of any help with this at all.  To be honest I didn't even know there was a Vitamin A limit.  If it's not possible to see and ask your Dr., another great resource is your pharmacist.  They may be able to help.  Congrats on your pregnancy and all the best to you.
I've heard a little about it. I know that if you get too much it can cause birth defects and damage to organs. To my understanding, this is preformed from supplements, foods (fortified) and the such. The 10000 IU limit is for preformed Vitamin A. (Personally, my prenatal had 4000 IU of Vitamin A in it, and my midwife said that was fine) I would call your doctor if you're still unsure and speak to them about it.
Is the vitamin a in your prenatal preformed or from Beta carotene? It's all very confusing..
You will be fine with the amount that is in ur vitamin and food.  You have to remember a lot of vitamins u take by mouth you don't absorb all of them anyway. Its not recommended that you take extra vitamin A along with your prenatal because that can possibly cause problems. Good luck to you.
I was told to avoid eating liver because it is loaded with Vitamin A. This is what I found out about vitamin A on line!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_vitamin-a-in-your-pregnancy-diet_675.bc?page=1

How much vitamin A you need
Pregnant women, 19 and older: about 770 micrograms RAE of vitamin A (approximately 2,565 IU) per day
Pregnant, 18 and younger: 750 mg (2,500 IU)

Breastfeeding women, 19 and older: 1,300 mcg RAE (4,330 IU)
Breastfeeding, 18 and younger: 1,200 mcg RAE (4,000 IU)

You don't have to get the recommended amount of vitamin A every day. Instead, aim for that amount as an average over the course of a few days or a week.

Can you get too much vitamin A?
The average American diet provides plenty of vitamin A. It's available in meat, dairy, fish, eggs, and fortified cereals in the form of preformed vitamin A, or retinol. It's also in most fruits and vegetables, mostly in the form of carotenoids.

It's important during pregnancy not to get too much of the preformed vitamin A, which in high doses can cause birth defects and liver toxicity. (You can take in as many carotenoids as you want, however, from fruits and vegetables.)

The government considers 3,000 mcg RAE (10,000 IU) to be the maximum amount of preformed vitamin A that you should get from supplements, animal sources, and fortified foods – combined – each day. The upper limit for women younger than age 19 is 2,900 mcg RAE (9,240 IU).

This is one important reason why it's not a good idea to double up on your prenatal vitamins or take any supplements that your practitioner doesn't recommend. Most prenatal vitamins contain at least part of their vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene, but some over-the-counter brands, other kinds of multivitamins, and some fortified foods contain significant amounts of preformed vitamin A, so check the labels or show them to your practitioner before taking them.

One more thing: The risk of birth defects from getting too much vitamin A is the reason that pregnant women and those trying to conceive should stay away from the prescription acne drug isotretinoin (also known by the brand name Accutane, among others) and other drugs related to retinol (a compound of vitamin A), including topical tretinoin (Retin-A), which is used for skin conditions.