Pregnancy After Tubal Ligation Surgery User Group
Could I be pregnant after tubal ligation?
About This Group:

This site is for all women who have conceived and/or given birth after having any type of tubal ligation surgery. Please join us and share your experiences.

Founded by Preciouspg on October 5, 2009
127 members

I posted this in the maternal and child care section but this is obviously the better forum for this kind of inquiry.

I am a 34 y/old mother of three young boys.  I had a tubal ligation performed in 12/2004, when my youngest was about 6 mos old.  My tubes were cut and cauterized.  Although I initially regretted the decision, I have grown to love my growing freedom and love the ages that my boys are currently at.  So currently, the desire to have another one is not there!  In addition to having the tubal ligation, I have hypothryoidism (which is known to cause irregular periods) but I have gotten my thyroid levels under control and haven't had a problem with irregular periods for quite some time now.  (I also had recent thyroid labs performed and I am right within range so... I don't know...)

Anyways, I am now a week late.  The only time I have ever been late is when I was pregnant.  I keep getting all the feelings that my period is about to come and then... nothing.  I usually get my period around the 14th, though in May, I got my period on the 14th and then again, for just 2 days, at the ends of the month/beginning of June.  That has NEVER happened to me in my entire life.  I have been reading about failure rates for tubal ligations and see tons of questions posted about it but wonder how many people it actually happens to?

Thank you in advance for all responses.
Hello, I too had a tubal but she clamped mine back in Aug 2008 as she said they tubes were too close to other things and she didn't want to accidentally nick something by cutting the tubes (she had a hard time finding them) ever since I started getting my period (year and a half later) I tracked my periods and at first they were regular (I've always had irregular periods) but just the past 6 months or so they have been getting more and more irregular, sometimes I'll have them 2x in a month 2-3 weeks apart and back in Mar it was over week and a half late, so I thought maybe I too was pregnant. I even took a pregnancy test because I was scared (came back negative) it did eventually come.

The more and more I've read on side effects of tubal ligation the more I regret having it done.

Have you taken a pregnancy test yet? Good luck and I hope all is well.
I did eventually break down and get a test - it came back negative but I am going to test again next week.  I haven't eaten dinner in at least 5 days now (have now appetite, that is when the nausea is worse) but am just hoping that I'm just worn down and need some rest instead of being pg.  Hoping and praying that my period shows up soon!
well I know it can happen.  I had my tubes tied in 2006 after my son was born and I have gotten. pregnant twice since then. I delivered a healthy baby girl in 2009 and currently 35 wks pregnant with another baby girl.  now my tubal was performed incorrectly and one of my tubes grew back but I know the rate of failure is like 1% or something like that.  now I have had a few scares where my period was late and I would have myself worrying that I was pregnant but I would test and it was neg. so I would wait it out and test again u can always call ur dr and they can do a blood test. I know both times I ended up pregnant I was test with a reg urine test and it would be neg then I would do a blood test and it was positive.  good luck
I'm sure the added stress you are under wondering and worrying hasn't helped with your appetite. Good luck and keep us posted.
Godisfaithful commented on Risa615's status
Nov 24
Godisfaithful commented on The Lords awesome pow...
Nov 19
Godisfaithful commented on photo
Nov 11