Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
24 hour urine test...what are they checking for????

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

so today i went for my weekly check up...i am 30 weeks...for the past few weeks i either have had traces of protein or protein in my urine...so i will do the 24 hour urine test...what are they checking for? i assume it cant be for pre-eclampsia since i always have perfect blood preasure. the doctor was very short and i didnt get to ask any questions. has anyone else had to do this and what were they checking for ...and what did it turn out to be????????????????????????
Preeclampsia
I am scared to ask, but what do you have to do exactly for a 24 hour urine test....please God, tell me there isn't some test coming up where I have to hold it for that long?  Lord help me if it's anything like that....arrgghh!

I had never heard of this one, but good luck to you!!!  
It is not unusual to see protein in our urine. If the dr.see traces of protein then there might be pre-eclampsia. I had preeclampsia with my first son 8 years ago and deliver my son through ceasarean section at 32 weeks because my son was in distress , and now I am 27 weeks pregnant and was taking metyldopa 250mgs.twice a day, my blood pressure was in controll now and I am looking for possible GD so next week I will have my blood check for GD. Hope it helps.
hey adgal,
you are too funny...lol
my ob office gave me a huge jug and for 24 hours i need to save my urine for them to  test it.
i am confused because i am know most people will say its checking for preeclampsia....but i dont have high blood preasure...its always been perfect...from what i just read online preeclampsia is the most common thing its checked for...but also kidney function and infections in the kidney....hopefully its nothing.....
Yes, they are likely checking your average protein levels over a 24h period to see if you are "spilling protein" into your urine which is a sign that your kidneys are working as well as they should be.  "Spilling protein" is one symptom of pre-eclampsia and can, in some cases, present before elevated BP does.  The doctor is doing the prudent thing and monitoring you appropriately.  I have my fingers crossed for you.
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
KeeLolo commented on photo
KeeLolo commented on mandaszoo's status