35 and Older pregnancy
I am 35, just turned 35 in November, actually got pregnant on my birthday.  The baby is due Aug. 16, so I'm like 12 weeks and 3 days now.  My doctor wanted to know if I wanted a amino test done to see if my baby has down syndrome.  He said the only reason behind this is my age, there is no other evidence of anything wrong.  I have already had 2 beautiful and healthy babies, one at 23 and one at 27.  He says I'm at risk because of my age.  I don't know what to do, any advice.  They also said that this might could cause a miscarriage.  What if I do it and nothing is wrong and then miscarry.  I would like to know but I think the chances outway my want.  Any help or advice is welcome.
CONGRATS!! I personally wouldn't do the amnio unless they told me it could be something more serious then Downs. I'm 35, will be 36 when delivery comes,I had an AFP test done last month and it came out positive 2 times for spina bifida but the level 11 ultrasound ruled everything out, including downs. Have they done a level ll ultrasound yet to look for any markers? If they haven't then I wouldn't do the manio for sure until they do find more evidence then just your age as a factor. My personal opinion! Good Luck!!
CONGRATS!!!

Had both my babies after 35 and declined all testing that wasn't just standard.  Here's the reasoning...we weren't going to terminate a pregnancy regardless of what a test might say, so we were going to trust that what God provided is what God wanted us to handle.  We did all the usual ultrasounds, plus a few and let them watch me and the babies closely.  Nothing suspicious showed up on the ultrasounds, so we were happy with that information.  It's amazing what they can see based just on that.  

So, if you are comfortable with the gift you've been given and wouldn't terminate anyway, why put something so precious in potential jeopardy?  Now, if there is a better reason to do those tests...then that would change things.  However, if it is just because of your age and nothing else...I wouldn't.

And as pcarsey found out, some of the even less invasive tests can come back with false positives and for some people that's more stress than they need.  We had a friend with the same issue and her little girl was just as healthy as any child could be.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.  Hopefully all will be well with both of you!
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I personally would not do an amnio and think that some doctors are too quick to do those as a standard test just because someone is over 35. Thankfully, my doctor doesn't do them unless absolutely necessary. My doctor also will not do the AFP blood test because it has a very high rate of inaccurate results. My doctor's office now uses a new blood screening test called the B.E.S.T test (Baby's Early Screening for Trisomies) which is much more accurate, but still just gives percentage results. My blood test with this baby at age 36 has better percentage numbers than my 2nd baby at age 34, go figure. There are so many women over the age of 35 who have perfectly healthy pregnancies and babies, follow your instincts on the tests that your doctor's office offers, as most are optional. Eat healthy, exercise, make healthy lifestyle choices and good luck!!!
You arent that far past the magic number 35 so I'm suprised your Dr suggested it.  If age is your only factor then I tooo would not as you put the baby at risk.  But the choice has to be yours.  good luck