Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
44, 3 miscarriages in 7 months

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

44, 3 miscarriages in 7 months

I am 44 and have been pregnant 3 times (naturally) in 7 months, and just had my third miscarriage at 8 weeks. I obviously have no trouble getting pregnant, but just keeping them. (Miscarriages at 8 weeks, 6 weeks, and then 8 weeks. A strong heartbeat was seen on both 8 week pregnancies.) I have had ALL the proper tests that one takes for recurring miscarriages. I have checked out fine and my uterus is in good shape, too. I haven’t, however, had genetic testing on the fetus, but WILL do so this time. I am aware it will probably be chromosomal because of my age. I am open to a donor egg, but as of now, my husband only wants MY baby, so that is out. ( My last pregnancy I was on a regimen of baby aspirin, heparin and progesterone to help sustain it, and have been on a great prenantal vitamin with folic acid for 6 months. So you see I've covered all my basis.) Here’s my question: Is it possible to have a viable pregnancy if we try again, or do you think it is a waste of time? Anyone with a success story please let me know.If you are over 40, even better!
Tags: Pregnancy, 44 years old, Miscarriage
Your story sounds an awful lot like mine.  I got pregnant for the first time in Nov. 2007 and between then and April 2009 miscarried 5 times.  All first trimester, although in my case a heartbeat was never detected.  Twice I had D&C's and both times the tissue was tested and came back with no chromosonal abnormalities.  I also had all sorts of tests, everything looked fine.  My husband also had some bloodwork done that was tested and he too was fine.  Our genetic compatability seemed to be fine.  It was unbelievably frustrating and so hard emotionally. My OB pretty much chalked it up to bad luck and possibly age related.  I will never really know for certain.  I got pregnant again in May 2009 (I was now 40).  In January 2010 I delivered a healthy, perfect, beautiful baby boy, 1 week before my 41st birthday.  He is now almost 6 months old and the light of our lives.  

I too wound up on baby asprin and progesterone supplements (started the progesterone on pregnancy #2, the baby asprin pregnancy #4).  And of course prenatals with folic acid which I took for the entire time, pregnant or not.  

Your question on whether or not to try again is a hard one to answer.  There are many stories here of women like us who did have success, but obviously it's impossible to say how anyone's story will end.  I can only tell you that as hard as it was to go through, today I am glad I did not give up.  In fact, we are now trying again for baby no. 2.  My OB basically told me that as long as I continued to get pregnant as easy as I did, it made sense to keep moving forward if I could handle it emotionally.  

Whatever you decide I wish you healing and peace.  I know what this can do to you, but I hope it helps to know you are not alone, and happy endings do happen.  Take care and I wish you all the best.
Thanks SO MUCH for your insight. It really HELPED! Congrats on your AWESOME pregnancy!!!!!!  I will take the summer off  so my boyfriend and I can figure out who we are without babies on the brain and for some deeper spiritual practice. We'll regroup at the end of August to see where we are at. He has been amazing.

I ended up needing a D&C because they found a very small piece of remaining tissue after i thought everything passed. When you said that you got the tissue test back without any abnormalities, what did they say was the reason for the miscarry?  I always assume it is chromosomal. Unfortunately when we brought in the fetus, they said they couldn't test it because we didn't package it right! They said they couldn't test the tissue either, but maybe I didn't hear that right. My Spanish is weak. I'll ask my boyfriend later. I may see a genetic councilor for some of my own tests before we move forward, but I haven't done my reseach yet.
I should have said, Congrats on your beautiful BABY boy!!!!