Age 42, missed period, negative HPT
I am 42 years old.  I have a two and a half year old daughter, though it took us just over a year to concieve her.  I missed my last period and suspect I may be pregnant, having ovulated very late in my cycle.  I have taken 3 HPTs, all negative.  But if I concieved late in my cycle I may not have been far enough along for an HPT to pick up a pregnancy.  I know I should see my OB/GYN to get a blood test but I am afraid of the let down. I had a miscarriage in Feb and since then my regular 28 day cycles have been anything between 28 days and 23 days.  Could I have ovulated 3-4 days before the date I was due to start my last missed period?  If I did concieve then, how long would it take to get a positive HPT? With my last pregnancy my HPTs worked, why would they not now?  Was this just an anovulatory month?  I guess my doc is the only one that can answer this question.  I guess I just need support and input.
Different sites say different things but from what I get from all of this is that it can take anywhere from 5-10 days following implantation for a hpt to be detect pregnancy;  two-three days for a blood test.

So if you ovulated on cd 23, it would take approximately 10-14 days before a positive pregnancy test could be done.  I hope this helps.  Really, a blood test needs to be performed in your case IMO.  

The best thing to do is repeat your hpt in a week if you haven't started your period.  If the hcg is there, a hpt will work 99% of the time.  After that, go to your doctor and ask for a beta be done.