Anyone get a pounding/racing heart during pregnancy?
Hi girls,
I'm 27w 1 day and lately I've noticed that I get a rapid or pounding heartbeat....It just comes out of no where and sometimes it takes a while to stop.  I've read that rapid pulse is normal in pregnancy but jeez it kinda freaks me out...My girlfriend who had a baby last year said she got it all the time yet I just wanted to get more opinions...
oh yeah, my babies feet are on my upper left and I noticed that sometimes when she is kicking that the heart thing will also start...
my heart rate goes up in down also but I always contribute it to being winded our out of breath.  Lately I can get winded just from putting on my shoes.  I would mention it at your next dr appt.  
Oh yeah, I remember it with my last and I've had it with this one too 19w2d.
Sometimes too when I'm just laying in bed I feel it race....Weird but haven't gotten terribly alarmed.
I have had the darn thing, I am 22 w3d and mine will just race on the littlest exertion.... our stairs kick my but. I did read that in the second trimester this is very common. My doc says its normal. I get the out of breath thing too, I find it hard to sleep its seems I get short of breath when lying down, I just seen my dr yesterday, and he says all is normal . very common. But I agree the pounding racing heart is scarry. I had it last night as my tummy was very upset from dinner, I finally made my self get rid of the  food in my belly and holy cow its was pounding! I also have palpitations which really suck! but know where all here with you =) wish I could say I dont get them, I keep telling myself not too much more to go!!! hang in  there least you get done before me! good luck
Hi im in my 8th week and am experiencing a racing heart, is this normal? Anyone get this during their first trimester?
Several years ago I was dx with Mitro valve prolapse, it's nothing major and runs in my family.  On occasion it would make my pulse raise and I would get these pulputations which sometimes lasted for day, very uncomfortable.  But Drs said it was so minor that I don't even need any meds I used to take some hearbal meds that made me feel better.
This condition has gotten much better over the last few years I didn't get any symptoms at all.
Now I'm 7w5d and pulpitations started probably when I was 5 weeks.  But they only last few min each time.  So I was wondering if it's that syndrome acting up or if it's a normal sign of pregnancy.  So I just take few deep breaths and a drink of water and they seem to go away.  My last appt with RE is coming wednesday I'll mention it to her.
I had a racing heart  during my last pregnancy and again with this one.I am 35 weeks now and it seems to be getting a little better than it was in my second trimester. I have been tested for heart problems and all test come back o.k. so my doctor seems to believe that this is just due to the pregnancy and that it will go away after i have the baby. It had me scared a little bit at first but i never had that problem when i wasnt pregnant so i guess its just a part of pregnancy.
Yep.  I'm in the racing heart club.  Probably due to all that extra blood circulating and difficulty breathing...
What I've noticed since last week is that palps and racing pulse when I'm tired.  For example on Friday I worked form home and on Saturday just relaxed and stayed home for most of the day and did not experience palps.  But yesterday I spent some time walking at a NY auto show, besides the fact that I was exhausted, my heart was racing and thumping the whole evening.  
Yep, I'm experiencing heart pounding/ heat skipping  a beat feeling since probably my 2nd week of pregnancy. Dr said everything is normal. But my nutritionist friend said it's an anxiety attack, and acupuncture is supposed to really help. I'm going to go get acupuncture because it is just really persistent and annoying. It's all the time and lasts for 2-3 weeks at a time then goes away for a week then comes back. I just always feel tired, weak, and no energy. I am hoping to God that the acupunture works. I really dont' want to deal w/this for another 6 months!!
I am exactly the way Tanker chic and Kellym were.  I would not get too alarmed.  I just usually relax and take a deep breath and it goes away.  Sometimes a glass of cold water helps me to relax also.
Yes, I have had both a racing heart and palps throughout this pregnancy, but I also suffer from anxiety, so I'm not sure whether its the pregnancy / hormones or just my anxiety getting worse because of all the changes in my body. The heart palps got really bad around 20 or so weeks, but I'm now 32 weeks and havnt had any for a few weeks, so that semms to be getting better but the racing heart is getting worse! I get puffed out and my heart rate goes sky high just from having a shower. It does seem to be a common pregnancy complaint through, so i wouldnt seem to worried about it. I'm just going to keep an eye on mine until after the pregnancy and if it doesnt go back to normal then I'll go and see someone about it.
Hiya!

Yes, I have that too. I told hubby that I've been getting this really bizarre feeling from time to time, almost as if the baby is up under my rib cage and squeezing my lungs. It's a very odd feeling, and I sorta feel like I can't catch my breath when it happens, though I can breathe fine. It's just the sensation.  I get that alot when I am on my back too.

My heart has skipped beats and raced a little, but I've always had that.  It's always when I'm at rest, which is considered pretty normal.

Sheri
I have had the same thing since 14 weeks. I have had a bounding pulse and many palpitations. OB put me on a relatively safe beta-blocker. I feel so much better. Cardiologist has seen me as well....nothing wrong with the heart though. Says many pregnant women experience heart issues when they are pregnant and will go away after birth. Hang in there ladies....the miracle of life puts so much stress on our bodies. I am currently 23 weeks!
I had heart palps with my first later in the pregnancy; but with this one I started right away.  They're always bad at night when I sit down and then get worse when I lay down.  Sometimes its hard to get to sleep til they quit.  
YES! I have totally had that...try not to worry :)
hey im 30 weeks preg and iv experienced my heart racing for the whole entire pregnancy and experienced it my last preg aswell it on and off tho but so scary but yeh looks like a common thing just freaky
Yes, I have had the same symptoms! I had the heart palps early in my pregnancy (they did not last long.) Now that I'm 37 weeks, I am now plagued with a racing/pounding heart that comes out of nowhere and some heart palps when I try to lay down on either side. So frustrating! And I too get the sensation of breathlessness at any given moment. I think pregnancy just puts so much stress on every part of our bodies--from the lungs to the heart, sometimes it feels like you are falling apart!! I hear it gets better once the baby comes out. Try not to fret too much!!! Drink plenty of water, eat healthy, take your vitamins and REST!
If it is pounding/racing, then skipping a beat...kind of a weird pounding in your chest...it sounds like PVCs. They are VERY common in pregnancy. I actually have them all the time, brought on by stress. But they are worse during pregnancy and some women only feel them when they are pregnant. Look up PVC heartbeats on google and see if that's what it feels like. If so, it's not dangerous - just irritating.
Ok...so I have been having symptoms of pregnancy and my heart is always racing when ever I just go up the stairs and I don't known if I am pregnant by could that be an early sign of pregnancy ??? Please help me out.
Sooo glad I came across these posts.

I am currently 19 weeks today and since week 8 I have had these skipped beats and heart pounding.

I have had heart skips before, as I had SVT that was cured with an ablation, but pregnancy has sure kicked up a fire storm with my heart.

Just awaiting the results of my 24hr monitor.

These heart blips are ruining my pregnancy.
I have been having a racing heart since 4 weeks pregnant I'm now 6 weeks and even walking my dog leaves me out of breathe. Even if I am talking to someone the same thing happens. Its scary!
I am  9 weeks.  I was watching a movie with my husband, laying on the couch and for about an hour my heart was just racing.  It rreaked me out.  I went to my doc - he did an EKG, said heart was normal.  I havent noticed it lately - but i do have that out-of-breath feeling too.  Slightest thing gets me winded.  Never thought it could be a sign of pregnancy?
Yes, I have that as well and I'm 8 weeks.  Heart races from doing the slightest amount of activity or no activity even.. and I'm not overweight.  It kind of freaks me out!
I have the same problem. What you want to make sure is that you get enough magnesium and that you are not anemic. Heart palpitations are very common in pregnancy and they come and go often without reason. My Dr told me that as long as they don't last for too long, like 30 seconds at a time it's fine. if you have a continuous racing heart then you should check it out with your primary DR. Hope these go away for you soon. They finally did go away for me and I am 31 weeks pregnant.
I'm 12w1d and I've been freaked because my heart has been pounding. I actually can see my left breast move when I'm sitting still. I called the dr they said I should be drinking a gallon of water a day (I've only been drinking like 16oz) they told me to relax and if I get light headed go to the ER. I'm still pretty nervous.
I am sooo part of this, its scarfy though. And you cant calm your self down you have to go with it.
I get heart palpitations when I'm not pregnant - have for years - and they worsened a little with my first pregnancy but are significantly worse this time. I agree, it has made this pregnancy much less enjoyable. I have been having episodes where I get one extra beat like every few minutes for hours on end! It usually happens at night, usually right when I'm trying to fall asleep, and then I can't sleep, which probably aggravates them more and definitely makes me anxious, so it's a huge vicious cycle. I cannot stand it! I'm encouraged by some of the posts i have read saying that it seems to calm down after the second trimester. I am 27 weeks now, and while I had a couple episodes early on in my pregnancy, this last month - starting at about 22 or 23 weeks, has been brutal with them! Does anyone else have experience with them subsiding as you get into the third trimester? Would be amazing relief to think this could go away or get a lot better really soon! I have been to many cardiologists over the years, including this past week. I've had all kinds of testing done, and everyone always tells me the same thing...that I'm experiencing benign PVCs (and sometimes PACs) and that my heart is totally normal structurally and functionally. All the women in my family, including my grandmother who lived to be 95, experience(d) this. It seems to be much more common in women...yet another thing we need to endure just for the privilege of being women! I try to tell myself often that I have been reassured over and over that nothing is wrong with my heart and that almost everyone experiences pVCs sometimes (I am just one of the unlucky ones who feels them!) and that, without other serious symptoms or underlying heart disease, they are completely normal and benign. But, in the thick of an "episode" of them, it's almost impossible to relax and go about my business as though they're nothing, because they're scary as hell and certainly don't FEEL normal! I wish there was some magic pill or other cure for them. Good luck to all of you!
I have been pregnant twice before and never had this happen. I havnt taken a pregnancy test so im not for sure if I am pregnant or not. But this is just scary, its pounding right now and like many of you have said it does it when im relaxed. I havnt made an appointment to check it out. Does anyone have any advice?
I am pregnant with my first.  10 weeks to be exact.  I have always had heart palpitations and was told that I have anxiety and sinus tachycardia (fast heart rate) but reassured that they are normal .. but that was 9 years ago, I am 25 now.  I have been very athletic my whole life as a competitive swimmer and now run 5 to 8 miles a day and stair master at the gym for 30 plus weight lifting ... I decided for the sake of my baby I will quit the gym and just run in the mornings or evenings to not over stress my body.  I have noticed that the palpitations have increased with pregnancy .. I actually went to the E.R. yesterday and they told me that my ECG was normal and that I may be experiencing Tachycardia/SVT due to being pregnant.. but not to exercise until it was completely ruled out .. ?  Yeah, they helped me out A LOT. *sigh*  I have a cardiologist appointment today .. I am 25 and worried I am going to die lol.  Can't wait till today is OVER WITH so I can hopefully start running again.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm 26 weeks and this last week I've been feeling my heart pounding as well as short of breath. And i get it at night usually. Ill lay down for a good hour and feel the pounding sensation all of the sudden,then comes the shortness of breath. I thought it had to do with what I ate or if my baby is pushing upwards or something. I feel better now after reading your guys post. Thank you!
I absolutely agree with the magnesium comment. The best source for magnesium I have found is from Premier Research Labs. They are the top of the line because you get nothing - I mean nothing - unwanted in the capsules. They're not compressed, so you can actually digest them (check online to see how little a human body can digest from a compressed pill). There are no undesirable excipients, glues, etc. I don't know if it's okay to promote a brand here, but the website to get more information is qnlabs.com. You can't order directly from them, but you will be able to find a specialist who can order for you. They're run by Dr. Bob Marshall - check out his radio shows on the site, you can download them, and there is usually one show up about pregnancy.