Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Braxton Hicks at 20 weeks

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Braxton Hicks at 20 weeks

Hi Ladies,
I want to know if anybody experienced braxton hicks as early as 20 weeks. I was a bit panic last Saturday night when my tummy suddenly really hard and went to the toilet twice for poop and pee. I knew its not premature labor because it took only for few seconds but I think 3 times happened that night. I have read that 6 contractions in an hour is not normal that you need to go to the ER right away.

Etts
Yes, both of my pregnancys it was that way.  You might not be drinking enough fluids.  Drink, drink, drink!!
Mine started even earlier than that, so no worries. I agree with Tonya, though, try drinking more fluids...which, by the way, I need to take my own advice on.

As for premature labor, I've heard the same thing...if you have 6 contractions within an hour, you need to be monitored. Although, according to my obgyn, after 20 weeks, you need to go to Labor & Delivery (ER before 20 weeks). Not sure of that just depends on the hospital, though.
  I had that plus more in 1 hour with both pregnancies, starting at around 16 weeks and what stopped them is water and lots of it.  I have worked in a hospital for 18 years and some on labor and delivery and its quite common.  I never went to the hospital with mine and I delivered on time and had quick deliveries.  The nurses where i worked could see my stomach contracting all the time.  Maybe it was because I am real thin and I only gained 10lbs with both babies and one was 7 even and the other almost 8.
Oh, I agree...even with 6 an hour (or more), it's most probably just braxton hicks, but according to my obgyn, it needs to be checked/monitored at that point..just in case. And at my hospital, the monitoring is handled by ER before 20 weeks and L&D after 20 weeks.

Hope that makes sense :-)
I don't think I have had any yet.  I know one of my cousins had them very early though and her little guy was born almost right on time..healthy as can be!  
This is baby #2 & although #1 was almost 8 years ago & remember the Braxton-Hicks.

I am only 11wks & I have light but familiar tightening in my upper abs.  I am quite large for my progress but I know that my uterus is nowhere near where these sensations are coming from.

I've decides that it has to be all those organs in there(stomach, intestines, etc) moving & shifting around, trying to fit & find room in unfamiliar territory.

At least I think it's a good theory.  :)

Fugitive
Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much for all your inputs. My ob/gyn told me that contraction is normal especially if you are in mid second trimester of your pregnancy but if the contraction is 6 times you'll experience in an hour then it might be early signs of preterm labor.