Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Braxton Hicks at 20 weeks
About This Community:

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Braxton Hicks at 20 weeks

Hi Ladies,
I want to know if anybody experienced braxton hicks as early as 20 weeks. I was a bit panic last Saturday night when my tummy suddenly really hard and went to the toilet twice for poop and pee. I knew its not premature labor because it took only for few seconds but I think 3 times happened that night. I have read that 6 contractions in an hour is not normal that you need to go to the ER right away.

Etts
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Yes, both of my pregnancys it was that way.  You might not be drinking enough fluids.  Drink, drink, drink!!
Blank
318181_tn?1336447096
Mine started even earlier than that, so no worries. I agree with Tonya, though, try drinking more fluids...which, by the way, I need to take my own advice on.

As for premature labor, I've heard the same thing...if you have 6 contractions within an hour, you need to be monitored. Although, according to my obgyn, after 20 weeks, you need to go to Labor & Delivery (ER before 20 weeks). Not sure of that just depends on the hospital, though.
Blank
  I had that plus more in 1 hour with both pregnancies, starting at around 16 weeks and what stopped them is water and lots of it.  I have worked in a hospital for 18 years and some on labor and delivery and its quite common.  I never went to the hospital with mine and I delivered on time and had quick deliveries.  The nurses where i worked could see my stomach contracting all the time.  Maybe it was because I am real thin and I only gained 10lbs with both babies and one was 7 even and the other almost 8.
Blank
318181_tn?1336447096
Oh, I agree...even with 6 an hour (or more), it's most probably just braxton hicks, but according to my obgyn, it needs to be checked/monitored at that point..just in case. And at my hospital, the monitoring is handled by ER before 20 weeks and L&D after 20 weeks.

Hope that makes sense :-)
Blank
377493_tn?1356505749
I don't think I have had any yet.  I know one of my cousins had them very early though and her little guy was born almost right on time..healthy as can be!  
Blank
1033736_tn?1264008694
This is baby #2 & although #1 was almost 8 years ago & remember the Braxton-Hicks.

I am only 11wks & I have light but familiar tightening in my upper abs.  I am quite large for my progress but I know that my uterus is nowhere near where these sensations are coming from.

I've decides that it has to be all those organs in there(stomach, intestines, etc) moving & shifting around, trying to fit & find room in unfamiliar territory.

At least I think it's a good theory.  :)

Fugitive
Blank
872925_tn?1239872670
Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much for all your inputs. My ob/gyn told me that contraction is normal especially if you are in mid second trimester of your pregnancy but if the contraction is 6 times you'll experience in an hour then it might be early signs of preterm labor.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Top Pregnancy Answerers
Blank
ashrefra
Blank
jesshat
Blank
Nikki148
Blank
schenner2