Can oral infection cause miscarriage?
When I was about 14 weeks pregnant, I went in for my routine OB exam and the featl heartbeat had stopped and I had to have a D&E.  I'm 37 so the fist thought was that the problem must have been genetic.  After all the test came back, the baby was a normal male.  The only other problem I was having at the time was an abscessed tooth.  It wasn't your typical abscess either.  I had cracked a root and the only option was a bridge.  My portion after insurance (and I have pretty good insurance) was $1700, so I kept putting it off and the infection had moved into my sinuses. Does anyone know if an infection like this could cause a miscarriage?
did they do x-rays?  could that harm the baby?  

sorry eliz.
No, no x-rays.  I knew about this before I got pregnant.  When the infection would flare up I would get antibiotics and it would go away for awhile.  I only took amoxicillian, so I don't think that would have any effect either.
I have read that you are supposed to get your teeth cleaned when you are pregnant because of some link between infections and miscarriage.  I had a miscarriage at 14 weeks with no explanation.  All the genetic testing came back normal.
I had never heard about that link, thanks!  Since I had the miscarriage, I've gone ahead with the bridge and had all x-rays just to be on the safe side because we are trying again.  Thanks for your reply.  I'm sorry about your loss!
testing to post
this year, 2007 i have been pregnant twice, both times with twins and i have lost all 4 babies.  I had a bad tooth the first time that needed pulled and a bridge put in.  I just recently had my last miscarriage and my one tooth on the bridge started hurting me - i'm thinking a cavity and maybe in need of a root canal.  This last one was the same as yours 15 heart beat just stopped.  I had genetic testing (cvs test) done so i know genetically all was well.  Other ages of miscariages were 16 weeks, 18 weeks  than 8 weeks and 15 weeks.

so while no one may ever know for certain - there would seem to be some kind of link between infections/cavities in the mouth and miscarriages.

Sorry for your loss - best of luck with your next pregnancy.  in my own personal experience i found that not knowing why a miscarriage happened, the lack of knowledge in that area and the lack of caring that it did happened by the medical field was frustrating.  The medical profession will brush it off as one in four pregnancy miscarry, most women miscarry and don't even know it, oh it is your age, ya da ya da ya da.  Don't brush it off there is a reason it happened if not dental check your thryoid, diabetes, etc.  And personally get the results not just the doctor saying "oh you are in range" when you could be one point from being out of the norm range.

I had a miscarriage at 14 weeks in December 2007. All tests showed the baby was normal. Seven months later, this sensitivity that had been bothering me in my teeth became a severe pain and was finally diagnosed as an abscess. I had a root canal and antibiotics. A few weeks after all that we started trying again. I am just had a positive home pregnancy test, so I sure hope that my dental infection was the cause of my miscarriage. Let me know if you find out anything more about this topic.