Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Decidual Bleeding Questions

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Decidual Bleeding Questions

Here's my situation.  I Ovulated on February 13th which is confirmed by bbt.  I got a positive pregnancy test on the 25th, which would have been 12dpo.  Since then my test lines have been getting lighter or not there at all (bfns).  

In the meantime I started spotting (nothing on the pad, only when I wipe) on the 28th (15dpo) and it started out light pink mixed with cervical mucus and the next day was brown/rust colored and continues to be that color until today (21 dpo).  Also, I notice the test lines lightened up and/or went away when the spotting started.

I thought I was going to have a chemical pregnancy but I haven't gotten my period and my temps are still extremely high.  They always drop before my period.  

My bbt temps are still high and I still have pregnancy symptoms.  This spotting in no way resembles AF.  I have read that decidual bleeding occurs in early pregnancy (If I am pg I would be exactly 5 weeks today going by ovulation date) and also causes pregnancy tests to be negative.  Is this true?  If so, when could I expect a positive result?
You need to see your OB or DR for bloodwork.  He/she also needs to know about the spotting.  The only thing I can think of is that false negatives are common.  False positives are not.  Pregnancy dating is actually determined by first day of last menstrual period, so assuming you have a 28 day cycle, you would actually be 7 weeks pregnant.  They would be able to tell by ultrasound, and also your HCG levels should be quite high.  If you haven't had a period that is a good sign.  Spotting is also pretty common.  My concern is these pregnancy tests...at 7 weeks you should be getting pretty strong positives.  I wish I could be more help, but I am perplexed.  Please see your Dr. though, its important to not ignore this.  Best of luck to you!!!
Well I ovulated later in my cycle...my LMP date is Jan 22, but I didn't Ovulate until February 13th.  

I don't know how links turn out in this forum, but you can view my chart here:

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1423fd

I've been charting for almost 3 years now...so I know without a doubt I ovulated.  According to all the experts...18 days past ovulation and high temps = pregnancy.

I tried but can't get an OB appointment until the 20th, so I'm trying to figure things out on my own until then.  My spotting was slow anyway, but it's almost nonexistant today...hopefully it's about to stop.

Thanks so much for your reply.....I really appreciate it.
Wow, that's a long time to wait when you are worried.  Would it be possible to see just a regular Dr. for bloodwork?  Have your HCG level tested, then maybe repeated in 48 hours or so.  That could tell you a lot.  I'm curious, what brand of HPT's are you using?  Is it the same type every time?  I would love to help you sort this out, but I admit I am a bit baffled.  This is a new one for me.  I truly wish you well though, and I hope all turns out well.

One thing I can tell you is that many many women spot during first trimester.  The majority of the time everything is fine, so that in itself is not a big worry, although any bleeding should always be checked into.  Even with late ovulation, you are far enough along that an ultrasound should give you some answers.  I hope your OB can do one on your 20th appointment.  In the meantime, I really would see a regular Dr. and have a Beta/HCG done.  If nothing else, it may put your mind at ease.  Take care, and please let us know how you are doing.
Another problem I have is that I just moved to this state/town and don't have a regular doctor.  It's a small town and doesn't have an urgent care but someone made the suggestion that maybe an urgent care facility could do it cheaper than the ER...so if I can find one that can help I'd be willing to drive a bit to get there.

I'm using all sorts of HPTs.  I got my first BFP on First Response (FRER).   I've used Equate and keep getting faint, faint, faint lines, FRERS are now negative, Internet Cheapie tests always have a faint line but I don't know if I can trust them or not.

In the meantime, spotting stopped yesterday.  Nothing today so far and temp is still high.  I woke up early to pee so it's a bit lower, but that's only because I woke up at 3:30 this morning.

I have some symptoms of pg....sore breasts, frequent urination, elevated temps (even during the daytime my temp runs from 98.8 to 99.6).  I have 2 other children and I've noticed my linea nigra has gotten darker and now goes up to my belly button.  I have medium complexion and it never quite went away after my other children were born.  

Everything points to my being pregnant.....except those darned HPTs.  

Do you know if decidual bleeding will cause a negative test?  Or is that just hearsay?