Dilemma - Is there any safe hair color for use in first trimester
Hi. I just found out I am pregnant for the first time at 38. I'm in the first few weeks of my pregancy and I am thrilled beyond words! However, I'm also facing a dilemma - I'm afraid it comes off selfish or shallow but I was wondering if anybody could relate or had any advice. I started going prematurely grey in my early 20s and have been coloring my hair for years now every 4-6 weeks since my hair is very dark and roots grows out very fast. It's especially bad around my temples, sides and the hair framing my face which makes me look really old. My doctor advised that hair colors and dyes should be avoided in the first trimester. My question is there are any alternatives I can use? I seached the internet and found it was the permanent colors that should be avoided. Can anybody advice if semi-permanent ones without ammonia or peroxide are okay to use? I looked into Henna as well but they seem very inconvenient. Any ideas anybody? Please?
I asked my advice nurse about this same thing.  I like to get blond highlights, but my natural color is also obviously very dark.  She said that there was no evidence hair color is safe or unsafe during pregnancy.  So, to be on the safe side, it's not recommended.  And, given that we don't have a lot of pregnant ladies lining up to be guinea pigs for what is safe during pregnancy, the answer will probably not be overturned soon.  

I haven't read any incidents that can be attributed to malformed babies due to hair coloring.  Also my good friend has two healthy girls and dyed her hair blond every few weeks.  To me, it seems safe.

I dyed my hair throughout my pregnancy and Hayden came into the world last September, healthy and curious about this new world.

Good luck!
You can get the ammornia free semi permenent ones and I was told are safe by my OB.  Good luck.
There's no conclusive evidence, but I think there's something particularly toxic in the very dark dyes, though you should research this. I got my first grey hair when I was 15, so I'm completely white now. During my last pregnancy, I let it grow out. It didn't feel great, but I just didn't want to take any chances what with all of the things that can go wrong and how long it took to finally conceive. Instead, I found a hat and that made me feel a bit better. It drove everyone crazy that I wore a hat all the time, but it made me feel good about my choice.  Whatever you decide is your choice though. You could contact motherrisk.com and see what they say.  Congratulations!
I continued to color my hair during pregnancy.  In my personal opinion and my OB"s, it's very safe.
I am 38 weeks with my 4th and I never stopped getting my hair done every 6 weeks.  My OB and hair gal were not worried at all.  What about using the root touch up kits to get you through? Ive used tem and they work fine.
Thanks so much for your responses. Sorry it took me a while to get back. My doctor had also said there is no data available on effects of hair color but it was better to stay away from it in the first trimester when the baby us being formed. There seems to be divergent views on this. I did try Loving Care which is non- permanent, ammonia and peroxide free but unfortunately the color did not even hold. I took this as a sign and decided to let my hair be at least for the first three months. Only because it will spare me the incessant worrying and guilt :) But I can't wait to get it colored after that - though I'll probably use Aveda products which are 95 percent plant based.
I am 22 weeks and i dont dare to touch any hair color, so i looked like shakira...lol
..half dark and half blonde with hi lights...(  i wear my hair in ponytails all the time...ahhghh!)