Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Exercise after delivery - why 6 week wait?

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi Ladies:

I don't know about you, but I have no intention of sitting on my fat butt for 6 weeks after delivery.  With DD I was walking a few miles after the first week.  I also started doing some light sit ups I think that are in the What to Expect book after 3 weeks or so. My OB wasn't too thrilled.  Anybody know why even light exercise is frowned upon for 6 whole weeks?   Seems like a long time to me.

Hope all is well.  Any new babies this weekend?

I'm 37w2d and counting!  
well I don't know about the sit ups but walking is fine and some light hand weights ( nothing heavier than your baby)  I did that with both of mine...  I don't think they want sit ups because your innards need to heal... but you know me... I have been the most worried  on here I think about loosing weight.. I will not be waiting 6 weeks even got the jogging stroller put together this weekend!
I know you can hemorrhage.  After I had my son I was walking a lot and up and down stairs and starting bleeding a lot.  Thankfully, I just had to rest a bit and try to take it easy.  I think they want to wait until you stop bleeding to get back into exercise.  I am sure walking is fine.  After my last post (see fat butt post) I will be anxious but know that it takes time to lose the weight.  :)
I agree with jifnif. Same thing happened to me. After about 4 weeks, I thought I was almost done bleeding, so I started doing some laundry, up and down the basement steps, taking walks with the baby outside, etc. Bleeding started back up pretty heavy again, so I got the message and rested until I was done bleeding completely. Good for you to want to exercise right away, however, you may want to wait until you are done bleeding, just to be safe.  Best wishes.
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
butterflybabies commented on journey2motherhood's status
1 hr ago
melimeli ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT THE NEW... Comment
krichar uploaded a new photo