Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
FSH levels, Clomid & getting pregnant over 40.

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi, I'm 42 and ttc using IUI & ds.   Had my FSH checked in March it was 3.   Went on Clomid 3 months ago with 2 unsuccessful IUI's.  Had a cd 3 FSH & Estradiol test.  FSH came back at 16!!  Estradiol was 60.   I went in Saturday 12/8 for cd 10 FSH am waiting for results right now from that test.  But, am very anxious about what this latest FSH 16 means.   All my internet research indicates it is not good!!  (My 21 day progesterone checks have all been good also. Between 15 - 30.)  

Anyone have a successful pregnancy with FSH this high?
Does Clomid raise your FSH?
Why would it change so rapidly between March and November?  
If you did have a successful pregancy did you use injectables?
(Can't afford IVF).
Hi there. Day 3 FSH fluctuates from cycle to cycle, including natural cycles, and unfortunately one bad reading is indicative that ovarian reserve ( number of eggs left ) is decreasing. I don't think the sharp increase had anything to do with the 3 mths of Clomid, as you may have found it increased anyway if you took readings often enough.

My Febuary FSH was 11, and it was the only reading I have ever had done. I was then on Clomid for 7 months, each of those I ovualted ( didn't ovualte on my own ).My FSH may have also increase in those 7 months, I will never know.. I did not know that my FSH was such a problem until the last visit with gy, when she said I'd have to do ivf.

The good news is...I fell pregnant on the 7th mth ( while waiting 4 my scheduled ivf appt ) on only 25 mg of Clomid. No injectables, ....All seems to be going very well indeed...I feel very lucky and blessed. So, don't give up hope at ALL! Keep trying and stay positive...

All the best!!!

Sarah ( 19 weeks today )
Thanks for sharing your story.  It does help to know someone got pregnant with an FSH above 10.  I don't know that I will ever be able to afford IVF, at least for a few years.  Being that I'm 42,  in fertility years, I don't have that much time to wait.  Your story does give me some hope.  Thank you!
Clomid can increase your FSH level. This link may help explain it.
http://www.clomid.havingbabies.com/clomid-challenge-test.html

Sarah is right. It does fluctuate from cycle to cycle as well. There is always room for hope :)
Thanks Tina.  I'll check that out.  I'm impatiently waiting my day 10 results for FSH.  My day 10 estradiol results came in and E2 jumped from 60 to 296!   I don't know what this means.  So hard to wait!!  I'll go to that website now.  Thank you again.
Lisa
E2 does increase through your cycle. Typical #'s  are follicular stage 11-212  mid cycle 18-480
so I wouldn't stress the 296 :)
Just got my cd 10 FSH.  Really, really bad; fsh is 25.  I think I'm out of the running for motherhood.  Best of luck to all of you ttc.    
I'm so sorry, LJ307... as my RE explained it, they need to check your FSH while "under the influence" of Clomid because supposedly that's a better measure of your true FSH. BUT, I've heard many success stories from women with high FSH and I hope you're not giving up because of a number!
My RE recently told me that he does not recomend Clomid in older patients.  It really thins the uterine lining ( already an issue in older women ) and makes the FSH rise significantly.
He told me that in recent studies - woman over 40 using clomid had a 1% chance of pregnancy.
It all sound pretty discouraging to me.
I dont know if my RE is the best around town, but he is associated with Columbia University Hospital in NYC which was ranked #7 in the country so I am going to listen to him on this one ( I asked for clomid recently).   I think your FSH may get much better off Clomid.   Some women are talking about Femara.
Maybe we each respond differenlty.
I have recently been reading about natural progesterone cream in helping to get pregnant. Dr. John R Lee who wrote several books concerning hormone balance used it in his practice. He would have the women start using the cream the day after period ended. The women would use this until time for period to start again. He did this for 2-3 cycles. On the next cycle, he would have the women wait until the day they ovulated then start using the cream that day. They would of course have intercourse. He was helped many women get pregnant this way. Most miscarriages are the result of progesterone deficiency. The problem is the synthetic forms of progestin do not have the same properties & do not act the same in the body. Synthetic forms can actually stimulate estrogen. The natural form of progesterone can actually help women become pregnant. After becoming pregnant, he have the women use the cream until the 3rd trimester. This helped the women carry to term.
Hello, I am new to this site and I have been trying to get pregnant for a year with no results.  I recently had lab work done and my FSH was 38 and my AMH was 0.1.  I guess this is pretty discouraging.  Does anyone have any ideas on what can be done and I would love to hear some success stories.

Thanks!!