Frequent colds and viruses when pregnant
Hi everyone - I am 35 and pregnant with my first child. I have fibromyalgia and asthma. I have worked with children for 10 years and I seem to have no resistance to the bugs the children have. I get everything they have and seem to have no let up from different bugs during the winter time especially. I have just got over a bad virus I caught from the kids (in June) and had a chest infection and had to take an antibiotic. I am due in January and know I am going to have several more doses between now and then. I am worried about the effect these frequent infections will have on my baby in the womb. I didn't really care when it was just me but now I am wondering if I should go back to that job at all in September as I don't want to subject the baby to the viruses/colds and flus that go around childcare centers. i don't want to loose my maternity pay but the health of my baby should come first shouldn't it - does anyone have any adivce for me? Thanks.
I really don't.  Pregnant women tend to have an even more compromised immune system, so chances are your problem with this will continue and may even worsen.  The only advise I can give you is to speak w/ your doctor about your concerns.  Also be sure to take your prenatal vitamins and eat fruits and veggies packed w/ vitamins.

I wish I could be of more help and wish you luck.
I agree with Michele in that you really need to speak to your Dr.  I had several colds during my pregnancy and it was fine...the problem of course is that you are very limited in the medications you can take which can make for a very miserable time.  Most antibiotics are considered safe during pregnancy, and your Dr. will probably prescribe differently then he/she did when not pregnant.  I also always double checked with my pharmacist as to what was safe before taking anything...including over the counter medications.

Your Dr. truly is the best person to help you make this decision.  I work closely with the homeless population and worked almost until the end of my pregnancy, but I don't have your history either.  I was careful to ensure I got my flu shots, etc. and was extra careful about hand washing and personal hygiene, but other then that I lived fairly normally.

Do speak to your Dr.  Congrats on your pregnancy and best of luck.
If you have fibromyalgia, please make sure your doctor also checks your thyroid levels, as it can be associated with fibromyalgia.

Best wishes to you