I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have recently found out that my doctor wants to induce me at 37 weeks. I am 35 weeks currently. I was told this one week ago. I was devestated. I really want my baby to come naturally, whenever she is ready. My blood sugar is under control. I do take a 2.5 mg Glyburide pill once a day and receive fetal monitoring twice a week. My blood sugars and fetal monitoring have all came out fine. My doctor says that even if they continue to come out fine, I will still be induced due to the increase risk of stillbirth. I have no complications. I didn't even have morning sickness. I have gained 21 lbs. There isn't a concern for her to be a large baby from her measurements. Most people can't even tell that I am pregnant. I haven't recieved an ultrasound since 20 weeks. Would you recommend that I get another ultrasound? I would like some statistical data on the increase of stillbirth in women with controlled gestational diabetes, especially in the last weeks. I have read that placental deterioration may occur. What are the chances if it is under control? Would you recommend that a patient in my condition be induced at 37 weeks? I will have an amniocentesis done first to check the lung maturation. I denied the recommended 20 week amniocentesis that is usually done to check for birth defects in women of advanced maternal age. I am 36 and this is my first baby. I am very healthy and have a job that keeps me active. I love being pregnant and really would like to go into labor when she wants to enter this world, not when her lungs are just mature enough. I would appreciate all of the information that you can give me. I am in a big dilema.
I can kind of relate - to the gestational diabetes part (@ 14weeks) but as I've been insulin resistant before pregnancy my Doctor at my first appt said I would never be allowed to go past my actual due date and unless I went into labour myself I would be induced in my 39th week.... since that was before gd diagnosis I'm pretty sure they've bumped up my cut-off date I just have to trust that they know what they're doing and that they want the best possible outcome which is a baby that is alive and kicking at delivery.
I never had a firm birth plan in mind so I can imagine you are disappointed that yours will not be how you imagined it but ultimately I would not want to risk stillbirth, and since they have to check for lung maturity I'm sure they'll leave him / her in until the lungs are good. I see you are referring to "her" I had read that girl's lungs mature faster than boys not sure how accurate that is. Also I think a lot of ladies on my pregnancy diabetes board are induced at 38 weeks.
Good Luck, I hope everything works out closer to how you imagined it.
I think it is wise to follow your Dr's advice. They do not routinely induce at 37 wks.
It's about the benefits outweighing the risks. When pregnant with my son they had
planned to do an amnio at 37 wks and induce if lungs were mature because I had many complications. My son decided to come at 37 wks on his own- my water broke at
I also have gestational diabetes, and my doctor has told me to prepare for the same thing. But, honestly, I don't mind. I tend to have big babies, anyway, and that extra three weeks can make a HUGE difference. My son was born at 36.5 weeks and he was almost 9 pounds. If I had gone full-term he would have been at least 12 pounds. As it was, the birth was difficult and his shoulders got stuck. Babies born to mothers with GD tend to have large shoulders and there are many risks associated with going full-term. I understand your desire to let things happen naturally - especially since this is your first baby. But, in this case, I have to say that I would go with your MD's recommendation. The risks are just not worth it. As far as lung development, I wouldn't worry. Like I said, I was 36 weeks, 3 days when I had my son...his lungs were great, he was healthy, and he looked full-term. 37 weeks isn't considered premature or pre-term. Your baby will be healthy and beautiful! Don't worry!
First off, I don't want to scare you by all means, I would listen to your doctor, this is what they do day in and day out. My friend was 38 and had controlled GD and lost her son to a still birth 8 months ago, she is still having such a hard time and she was 37 years old. I was 41 when I had my son and I had GD as well, I was scared out of my mind, I also took Glyburide once a day and had fetal monitoring and my doctor scheduled me for a induction at 38 weeks, believe me I did exactly what they wanted me to do and during active labor Gavin's heart rate was dropping really low ( not related to GD though), but the doctor wasn't that concerned because when the contraction ended his heart rate came back up to normal. I also opped to not have the amino at 20 weeks, but I had over 25 ultrasounds throughout my pregnancy. I did not want to risk the chance, especially after what my friend went through. I did whatever they wanted me to do to avoid a still birth. I'm sure that is the most painful feeling in the world, going through labor and delivering a baby that is not alive. It's your call and decision and I hope you decide what is best for you and your unborn child.
I had GD with my second.. took insulin for it was always well controlled.. never over on my sugars. I had non stress tests twice a week... all was well but too had an amnio at 37w for lung development and was induced the next day. she was 7lbs 8oz... I can't imagine how big she would have been if I had week 3 more weeks... I was happy that she was healthy and didn't mind being induced early... With my last pg I didn't have GD WOW I had it two times before with my first two pg and this time nothing.. I credit it to 4 years of low carb diet before pg and I had a vbac with her naturally 8 days early on her own. good luck and I would go for the induction... it is just safer if you look at the stats.. the still birth rate goes wayyyyyy up in the last 3 weeks
I was also induced at 38 weeks because of GD. I never had to have meds, just non stress tests and sugar monitoring.
I guess in the end, when you hear your baby cry for the first time, you will not care how he/she came into the world, only that they are here.
Good healthy to you,
Thans to everyone that responded. I was able to convince my doctor not to induce at 37 weeks. I asked for an ultrasound where they were able to look at the placenta. The deterioration of the placenta was the largest concern. She allowed me to push it off on an appointment to appointment basis. She did not want to go past 39 weeks. I was okay with that decision. Sarah was born on June 19, 2009. I had scheduled c-section at 39 weeks because she was breech. I was told in my childbirth class by a very good teacher to "trust my motherly instincts". That is the best advice that I have received and now give to others. Sarah was 5 lbs. 6 oz. and 17 1/2 inches long. She was perfectly healthy. She didn't have any problems, not even with her bilyrubin. I am very lucky. I could not imagine how small she would have been and what complications we may have had if she had been delivered 2 weeks prior. I probably would not been able to take her home. Gestational diabetes did not produce a big baby in my case. She is absolutely beautiful and we are very blessed. You can see pictures of her on my myspace address- www.myspace.com/michelleelka.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.