Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Hair Color

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hair Color

Do you think it is safe to color your hair in the third trimester - beyond 26 weeks? I know this is a personal preference question, I was just looking for some opinions.  I know we all have opinions! : )  I have a major event coming up when I will be 30 weeks pregnant and I was hoping to look the best I can - without gray hair!  I was hoping to color at 26 weeks and then touch up before I go at 30 weeks.
Hair coloring products today are different than they were 20 years again. I believe the products used now are more "environmentally friendly" and "safer". My hairdresser explained all this too be when I got my hair colored but my "pregnancy brain" has kicked in and I cannot remember the specific wording she used. I would phone a knowledgable hair salon or hair salon school.
This is one of those questions that you will never get a direct yes or no.  Are you planning to apply color to your entire head, or just touch up the roots?  I would not do an overall hair color.  Anything that penetrates your scalp is said to be "risky".  However, if you apply color to your roots and don't touch the scalp it is considered ok.  I have highlights and do my own hair, so when I apply the bleach, I start about 1/4 or 1/2 " from my scalp. I did this through my first pregnancy, and with this one too. You could always get a wig?  LOLO  Sorry, not funny, I know hair is a very personal part of our vanity : )   BTW, most haircolor on the market now is very mild and toxic free, ask your stylist.
From everything I've read - and what my OB told me - there is no evidence that coloring your hair is dangerous at all. People used to warn against it, years ago. But my doctor said it's okay, so I'm taking his word for it. I've had my hair colored twice since I've been pregnant! So...I would say to go for it. Plus, I think the mental boost we get from looking good is a HUGE bonus! :-)

Tricia
just got my highlights done yesterday and she went all the way to the scalp and I look fabulous!!! don't worry about it! pamper yourself...

when the baby is born, you'll take a bunch of pictures where you'll probably look tired and out of it... don't want to add bad hair tro the mix!
You guys are awesome!  I appreciate the input - and your right - it would be nice to feel "pretty" for a little while.  I can't see my own feet - at least when I look in a mirror it won't be so bad!
It's perfectly safe to color your hair.   Do it now before baby comes....because then you won't have the time!!
I just wanted to correct my statement since it brought major concern to someone who for some reason felt the need to PM me and correct me.

My post is based on what I read a month ago in my Mayo Clinic Healthy Pregnancy (copyright 2004), "Studies have not linked hair dyes to birth defects, and the chemicals in the dye are not readily absorbed through the skin."    

It is advised to use a toxin-free hair dye and not getting your hair colored during the first trimester...and that's more due to the hormones interferring with the dye job.  Not to mention the smell of amonia (ammonia) or whatever which could make you puke.

I assume you were concerned about the dye being an issue to your baby.  

I've yet to read, know about, hear or see anyone who's had an issue with their unborn baby and hair dye.   I would say since it causes no birth defects it's fine.

I think it's pefectly safe to color your hair in your third trimester.   Unless of course you a platinum blonde of brunette descent.  Then you're looking at having a black stripe down the middle of your head every two weeks.