High Risk Nuchal Scan Result
hi there, i am going to be a 36 yr old 1st time mother of twins in June 2011.. after yrs of trying we are over the moon... but we just got the results back from our 11 week 5 day nuchal scan result.. babes 1 was low risk with NT of 1.6mm but babes 2 came back w/ NT of 2.5mm... my bloods were completely clear but doc said they can't rely on those for twins... we just dont know what to do next... i am trying to be + but so scared. i know we could go for CVS or ammino but the risk to other baby just seem so high... has anyone been here? got any advice / words of wisdom. it has really put a dampener on this happy exciting time.. thanks in advance. xx
Anything over 3mm is considered high risk for abnormalities.  2.5 mm is in the good range dont know why they would have told you it wasnt.  I dont think you have anything to worry about.  Also would getting a CVS or amnio change whether or not you would have the babies if the result was abnormal?  If the answer is no, then why take the risk.  I didnt have any testing done because for me, terminating wasnt even a thought and I didnt want the risk, took us over a year to get this little one.(I am also 36 btw)  Good luck to you.

All these tests have a very high false positive rate.  That means, they indicate a 'possible problem' when really no problem exists.

I agree that if you wouldn't do anything regardless of the results, then don't go ahead with testing.

I am actually against all these screenings and testings because they cause so much stress and worry for women, and most usually for no reason.

Congratulations on your twins!

I agree. I was informed 3mm is the standard cut-off. If your bloods are completely normal I wouldn't be concerned and would just keep an eye on it. I'm 37, my bloods were very high risk, and NT was 8.4mm so have been through all sorts with regards Nuchal Measurements. Invasive procedures are an individual choice. You can wait for the next scan or if you have a real need for complete peace of mind then sure consider the CVS now or an amnio down the track. I had both for different reasons - came back completely normal. With an experienced and skillled practioner I have been told the risk factor is in fact far lower than what is "text book" quoted these days given how often they are now carried out. I had very experienced doctors who all told me the same thing. It's a very personal choice. I have come into contact with MANY women regarding NT measurements on different sites and without doubt what comes back time and time again is the stress that took away from the enjoyment of the pregnancy. You are within the cut-off. So feel good about that!! Congratulations on your twins.