Home birth
I came across this forum today doing research through google. So I joined. I am 38 and having my first child in 10 years. I have had 3 children and my husband has 4. This will be our 8th. With this child we are wanting to have a homebirth and I was wondering if anyone else is going this route and has any advice, etc.
First of all welcome to the forum.  I am not sure about the home birth, I had both of my kids at a hospital.  However, I am sure that their is someone on this forum who can and will respond to your question. I am wishing you a healthy, and happy nine months.  Be sure to keep us posted.

I am 37, I have two girls one18teen and the other 7 so I can truly relate to the years apart.  I am now trying to have another, hopefully my boy:-) Nevertheless, I will accept whatever the Lord bless me with.  Best Wishes and much success with your pregn.

Yolanda
there is a great documentary out right now made by Ricki Lake called "The business of being born" and it looks at home birthing as a better option compared to the medicalized hospital birth where women are treated as numbers... etc...

I wish I had the "cojones" to give birth at home but I guess I'm too afraid of the "what if something goes wrong" scenario... plus the fact that my husband will unfortunately be abroad working for 2 weeks right in my DueDate which means I'll probably be giving birth on my own! (he had this engagement before we found out we were expecting)

so to answer your question, watch that documentary; it reeally made me consider home birthing my child...

good luck!
There is also a show that has been on Discovery Health every once in awhile that is called Freebirthing, where women pretty much go to the extreme and do not even really get prenatal care. I personally think the risks are not worth the experience, especially since AMA is considered high risk, but then again, I don't have any negative feelings towards hospital settings and thoroughly enjoyed my birth experience with my dd. I felt very safe at the hospital I was in and my nurses and doctors were absolutely wonderful. Sometimes I wonder if women who have had not so great experiences have not written out a birth plan???

Have you checked into midwifery, doulas or even hospitals that implement holistic care medicine? There is a hospital in Minnesota called Woodwinds that implements this type of care model into birthing experiences. My sister had her babies there and she loved it (I live too far away). Here is a link for reference:

http://www.woodwinds.org/CareService/3_Maternity/Preparingforstay.cfm

Good luck and please let us know what you have decided to do and how you made your decision. I am sure there are plenty of other mothers-to-be that have been at least curious about the option : )
I have a girlfriend that opted for a home birth with her second.  In fact it was a water birth (she had her in a bathtub!!).  She say's it was the best decision she ever made.  The birth was far easier for her, and far less stressful.  She had a midwife and would have gone to the hospital at the first sign of trouble.  I don't know if I would have the guts to do it either, but my friend say's if she were to have another, it would definately be the route she would take again. Whatever you decided, I wish you all the best!!!
I know a few women who have had all of their children at home. One of them had number 9 over the summer! BUT her husband is a firefighter and trained to deliver babies. Anyway...I think it's such a personal decision that you have to do what feels right for you. If it's what you want, and you have a completely problem-free pregnancy, then I say go for it. Personally, I have never wanted to give birth at home because 1) I don't want to clean up the mess 2) I like being waited on after I have a baby and 3) I like drugs. I had my daugher drug-free and I will never do it again. LOL.

As for the age difference...I, too, can relate. My daughter will be almost 19 when this baby is born, and my son will be 9. I seem to have this thing about babies every 9.5 years...but I'm drawing the line at having one at 50. ;-)

Tricia
My sister had her second home birth last night.  Her first baby was cesarian, her second was natural but had retained placenta removed manually (they didn't know at that stage that a ligament had been cut during the cesarian and not repaired and her uterus couldn't contract without manual stabilisation).  Third baby was home birth with a very experienced midwife, and same for 4th baby last night.

I think the key for home birth is having a qualified and experienced midwife or birth attendant, having a backup plan in case things don't go as planned, and being mentally and physically prepared.

I on the other hand am on bedrest confined to hospital for premature labor and they are going to let my baby come next week... unless she forces the point before that.  I want a natural birth, but home birth is out of the question....

Everyone is different and every situation different.  Best of luck.