Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Hormonal skin flair ups and suggestions??

Our Pregnancy Support Forum is for women 35 years and older. This is where you can communicate with other women who share your interest in pregnancy and childbirth issues. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I am not one to have many zits.....does anyone have a suggestion on what to use to help me kind of control my hormonal outbreak?  It seems to be getting worse as I get further along.  And makes me feel not so "pretty".  Ive gave up on makeup it makes it worse.
Ok, don't laugh at me....but when I get a zit, I use a dab of toothpaste on it.  Just a tiny bit, and it works really well for me.  It can cause a bit of dryness, but if you just use a dab it works.  Just plain old crest or collgate...your laughing at me aren't you...lol.
Well it IS funny....but it sounds real safe. :-) No crazy chemicals or anything.  Im just kind of weirded out at my skin.  I know I cant help it but I feel like running to the dermatologist and crying HELP.  But its senseless I know.  But Im going to stay on top of keeping it clean and moisturized better than I have and see if it helps.  I pray that it does...and I will back it up with toothpaste. :-)
My skin is not the greatest especially I always had problems on my chin even before I was pregnant.  And since I can't use any of my medicated creams I just used alcohol pads to whipe down affected areas.  This also can cause dryness.
My worst flair up was 11-17 weeks.  Now things seem to be getting slightly better

adgal - that's a great tip, I'll definitelly try it as well.  I'm not afraid of dryness my face is used to all the meds and is not that sensitive any more.
I know its funny, but it really does work, at least for me.  But really don't use too much, just a dab.  It was something Iearned in high school, and I have honestly never found a medicated cream to work any better.  Just can leave a little red mark, but it goes away pretty quick.  I hope it works for you guys.
I've heard of the tooth paste treatment before. ;o) Go head on with your toothpaste self adgal. ;o) "Carp", what skin care products are you using on your face? You can also do a lemon rinse & steam. Just use 1/2 lemon or lime...bring pot of water to boil (may start with 2 cups water)...take off heat and let stand for 5-10 mins (make sure steam is still rising)...squeeze 1/2 lemon/lime in water and place towel over head & steam for 3-5 mins. You will feel the sweat of course, but feels very refreshing & cleansing. Make sure it is to your comfort level. Also...once you finish your cleansing routine (not sure which products you use), but you can do a lemon/lime rinse. Again squeeze 1/2 lemon/lime in bowl of water & splash rinse before using your moisturizer. Use your own judgement as to strength of rinse...I don't usually measure...so it may take a few times b-4 you know. I'd say start with 2 cups of water to 1/2 friut & go from there. Hope it helps...it will feel very refreshing at least. You can do it after a nice shower, etc. Make sure the rinse water is luke warm...not hot...not cold, but just right. ;o)

Cheers~
Savanha~~