Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Hormonal skin flair ups and suggestions??

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I am not one to have many zits.....does anyone have a suggestion on what to use to help me kind of control my hormonal outbreak?  It seems to be getting worse as I get further along.  And makes me feel not so "pretty".  Ive gave up on makeup it makes it worse.
Ok, don't laugh at me....but when I get a zit, I use a dab of toothpaste on it.  Just a tiny bit, and it works really well for me.  It can cause a bit of dryness, but if you just use a dab it works.  Just plain old crest or collgate...your laughing at me aren't you...lol.
Well it IS funny....but it sounds real safe. :-) No crazy chemicals or anything.  Im just kind of weirded out at my skin.  I know I cant help it but I feel like running to the dermatologist and crying HELP.  But its senseless I know.  But Im going to stay on top of keeping it clean and moisturized better than I have and see if it helps.  I pray that it does...and I will back it up with toothpaste. :-)
My skin is not the greatest especially I always had problems on my chin even before I was pregnant.  And since I can't use any of my medicated creams I just used alcohol pads to whipe down affected areas.  This also can cause dryness.
My worst flair up was 11-17 weeks.  Now things seem to be getting slightly better

adgal - that's a great tip, I'll definitelly try it as well.  I'm not afraid of dryness my face is used to all the meds and is not that sensitive any more.
I know its funny, but it really does work, at least for me.  But really don't use too much, just a dab.  It was something Iearned in high school, and I have honestly never found a medicated cream to work any better.  Just can leave a little red mark, but it goes away pretty quick.  I hope it works for you guys.
I've heard of the tooth paste treatment before. ;o) Go head on with your toothpaste self adgal. ;o) "Carp", what skin care products are you using on your face? You can also do a lemon rinse & steam. Just use 1/2 lemon or lime...bring pot of water to boil (may start with 2 cups water)...take off heat and let stand for 5-10 mins (make sure steam is still rising)...squeeze 1/2 lemon/lime in water and place towel over head & steam for 3-5 mins. You will feel the sweat of course, but feels very refreshing & cleansing. Make sure it is to your comfort level. Also...once you finish your cleansing routine (not sure which products you use), but you can do a lemon/lime rinse. Again squeeze 1/2 lemon/lime in bowl of water & splash rinse before using your moisturizer. Use your own judgement as to strength of rinse...I don't usually measure...so it may take a few times b-4 you know. I'd say start with 2 cups of water to 1/2 friut & go from there. Hope it helps...it will feel very refreshing at least. You can do it after a nice shower, etc. Make sure the rinse water is luke warm...not hot...not cold, but just right. ;o)

Cheers~
Savanha~~