IS CU7 (COPPER 7 ) IUD STILL VALID?
I had an IUD implanted in about 1994 & still have it. I went to my GYN to replace it she said she would remove it but won't replace it as it's against her religion as a Christian. I figured that since I'm not having sex I'd leave it alone. I've just ignored it because I last had sex in 1999 in my 30s. (10+years ago.) I'm concerned now bcuz I finaly started dating again & I am planning to have sex for Xmas 2009. My boyfriend says he is well endowed & I'm concerned that he may dislodge the IUD or push it father up. I can no longer feel the string bcuz I had the doctor cut it as it was irritating. I know I wasted 10years but I'd like to use it now. Do they still make it? I plan to use condoms but I don't want more children & just my luck, I like the backup. I don' t want to ingest any contraceptives, shots etc & my doctor refused to sever my tubes after my last child in the 1990. I don't want pills, chemicals etc in my system & I regularly have an 8day period every 28 days. Please answer ASAP..I am running out of time to make a decision. Thanks
It's the first time I hear of an OB-GYN not wanting to replace an IUD because of her religious convictions... If I were you I would change OB-GYN immediately and get this IUD replaced ASAP. An IUD should stay in the body no longer than 10 years (as far I know) so you're getting the risk of getting infected by keeping it longer, so you really need to replace it now. Don't worry they still make copper IUDs, I had one in 2004 for a few months. Go see an other OB-GYN and you have plenty of time before Christmas to get a new copper-IUD.
From what I have read, "Cu7" can be used for up to 5 years to prevent pregnancy.

I completely agree with Ecologic - change doctors!  You need to find a regular doctor who will treat you using standard methods based on YOUR needs and not deny you treatment based on THEIR religious convictions.
This is my first time on this forum & I'm so happy to get a reply. I'm happy to hear that they still make copper iuds I've never understood her reasoning & I'm sad to leave as I've been going to her for a very long time. I switched to her because my other gyn refused to do a tubuligation when I had a c-section. Tomorrow I'll call & get my records & find another gyno. Hopefully I won't have to deal with  another rejection of some procedure by him/her. Eventually I'll cut my tubes but I won't have time to do it now. I'm so happy to know that they still make a copper iud. That's the only form of birth control I've ever used. Thanks guys. You've made my day. I've been searching around the internet for answers on the cu7 but it seems that they no longer make them. I'm glad to know they still make another kind. :  )
Definately find a new Dr.  Your choice in birth control is completely up to you, and as much as I respect everyone's religous beliefs, it is not her place to refuse you legal and safe medical treatment.  I am so surprised to hear what she said.  Good luck to you.
I just got a copper IUD in last year.. they still make em and they last for 10 years.  are you in the US?  anyway.. good luck and happy sexing you have waiting long enough dear hahhaa
Thanks guys. @ melimeli..I live in South Florida. I'm looking around for an OBGYN who installs the Copper IUD..If anyone lives in South Florida & knows of one..I'd really appreciate it. Thanks to all. Enjoy your thanksgiving. I'll give thanks for all the love of strangers I have received on this forum.. :  
Listen, I don't get it........what kind of Dr tells you they won't do something they don't like.......that's like going to a restaurant, telling them you want eggs and they won't serve them. Go somewhere else!!!

I had a copper 7 and back in about 1980 they were only good for 5 yrs, I felt that was plenty long enough to leave something inside your body; there is always a risk of infection, and other perforations. Any decent doctor would have taken it out years ago, to determine your uterus' status AND the status of the device!!

You are near menopause by now, why not try some other form of contraception that has a shorter window. Condoms are fine, but.......you know their failure rate is due to human error mostly, and IF your friend is so big..........he and you may have problems. MAKE SURE he gets the size that fits him because it only takes one very small and motivated sperm to reach it's target, which is you.

As for the IUD, I got pregnant with my now 26 yr old son, using it. It was in situ when I conceived and it did not dislodge until I was over 3months pregnant; a harrowing experience. I couldn't find the string and neither could the doctor. I suspect now he wasn't too concerned thinking I would likely lose the pregnancy as he told me to wait.

In the end it was a very calm pregnancy with a great big 10 lb baby boy, perfect and beautiful, but it might have ended differently.

IF you really don't want to have more children, just get yourself a real doctor who is treating YOU, not themselves and get a tubal. Mine was great, and my scar is no where to be found, and my insurance was happy to pay!!! Most of them are, it's much cheaper than a pregnancy; pre-natal care, and delivery and possible complications and a new child to cover, and it's also cheaper in many cases than ongoing contraception.

Ask your insurance carrier for a doctor who will do it, and you're likely in business-beleive me, they will find you a doctor who wants to serve YOU! Good luck.