Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Miscarriage prevention

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Miscarriage prevention

What precautions can be taken to prevent miscarriage at age 42?
The main reason for m/c at 42 is chromosomal abnormalities due to the age of the eggs. The m/c happens because it is not a viable pregnancy. It is the body's natural way of getting rid of something that shouldn't have happened. It's sad, but a m/c early on is not preventable if due to bad eggs. There isn't anything that can stop it. I have had 2 myself very early. Just keep trying is all we can do. Hopefully, catch a good one in the process.
Hi there!  There are many reasons miscarriages occur.  The most common is the chromosome abnormalities, but that happens at ALL ages, not just because you're 42.  Miscarriages can occur because of previous medical conditions, some medications, uterine abnormalities and incompetant cervix, among other things.  Do you have a history of miscarriages?  Or are you just inquiring because you are 42 and TTC?
As others have said, there is little you can do, unless you have a known medical condition that could hinder a pregnancy.

Once you are pregnant, not smoking, drinking, etc, can help decrease your risk a bit.  But at 42, your risk is just naturally higher as most women at 42 have lower quality eggs.  

I know because I'm 41 and have had 4 miscarriages since age 38.  I am still hoping there is one good egg though, so may, yet again, try again.

If you really want a child, I would not worry that you can't prevent a miscarriage.  You just have to try.  I know from experience how frustrating that can be.  But I know a few people that had healthy babies around 41 (and naturally), so know it can happen.
My ob told me that most m/c occur due to chromosomal abnormalities and no amount of bed rest or any other precaution can prevent a m/c.  He said that my body knows if something is wrong and will m/c in that case.

I hope your pregnancy goes along without any m/c threats or worries.  Wishing you healthy and happy 9 months.
I wish there were things we could do to stop it.  The only thing we have choices over that can slightly increase risk of miscarriage are smoking, drinking and drugs.  Other than that, its truly just plain bad luck.  I wish you luck.  There are lots of us on here trying to have a baby in that age range!!
Hi!
I am also 42 (will be 43 in November) and am almost 9 weeks pregnant.  I am extra paranoid with this one due to my 'advanced maternal age'!! I have two girls aged 8 and 5 and have had 2 miscarriages in my life, both around age 34.  I'm afraid the others are correct - there is very little that can be done to prevent miscarriage.  But as long as you are healthy, fit and looking after yourself (ie. no smoking, moderate drinking let's face it at our age we've earned a glass of wine or two!!!) and maybe take a folic acid supplement while trying to conceive.

My husband and I decided when I had just turned 41 that we would ttc.  Nothing happened - inspite of tracking ovulation, basal body temps, and all that it just never happened.  I had actually given up - I have two lovely kids already and just thought if it happens, so be it, if not well that's ok too.  

In fact, I had decided about 4 months ago that I really don't want another baby - my children are getting bigger and more independent, I am enjoying my growing freedom, time to focus on my marriage and what I want to be when I grow up!!!

But Murphy's law - although I made that 'decision' in my heart, I didn't get around to doing anything about it and bingo - here I am 8 and a half week pregnant!  I was actually upset at first - but now want it more than anything and feel totally blessed.

It is early days and I know the risks are greater for women my age.  I have had some hormonal difficulties so it is not 'in the bag' yet by any means. But I am cautiously optimistic.

So, long story short just because of your age you are not destined to miscarry.  Many women our age conceive naturally and have normal, healthy pregnancies.  My doctor says she sees it all the time.  At my first prenatal visit, I exected her to rush me off for an early scan and order bloodwork because I was 'high risk' due to my age.  But she said that my pregnancy is no different than any other strictly as a result of my age.  I did pay for a scan on my own because the curiosity was killing me - and all was well at 7.1 weeks.  

I will be paranoid throughout this pregnancy, but am trying to take it a day at a time and keep things in perspective.  My heart goes out to everyone out there TTC and I wish everyone, including you, the best of luck!!!!
Hi is smokin pot while pregnant increase the chance for a miscarriage?. I askd my dr. and she said cigarettes were worse for you & I need a second opinion, I dont want to lose my baby. This is my first pregnancy, n Ive ben smokin pot for over five years. Cant eat or sleep without it, but wil stop if it wil harm them
Any drug or stimulant has the potential to harm your baby. Why take the risk? You should stop smoking anything straight away and start taking care of youself and your baby