Missing the surge using OPKs
I have been using the ClearBlue digital OPKs - the ones with the smiley face.  I typically Ov around CD 17-19.  I also have EWCM in good amounts about 2-3 days prior to getting a positive test.  I had been testing just once, first in the am and have seen the lovely smiley face for the past few months.

So this month, I didn't see any EWCM until CD 18.  I started testing on CD 17 (didn't want to waste any sticks!) and I tested through CD 25 and nothing.  Same as in months prior, I tested first thing in the am and only once per day.  I'm hoping that I just missed the surge this time around, but my best guess is that I didn't O at all??  I don't temp but I never have either.  The absence of EWCM seems bizarre too, although I've had some much later in my cycle but still never saw a smiley face.

has this happened to anyone else?  I'm hoping I missed it and maybe it was a shorter surge this time?
Hi:) Don't even stress about it! The timing of ovulation is complex and can take some studying of your body and your cycles to figure out. Most women ovulate anywhere between 11-21 days since the last menstrual period, or 12-16 days from when you expect the next menstrual period to start. A woman can ovulate and not notice the EWCM. Every woman can experience her own type of cervical fluid, and not all are the same. Ovulation is assumed to take place on the day a woman has the most amount of wet fluid. Ovulation predictor kits determine whether the luteinizing hormone (LH) is detected. The luteinizing hormone (LH) rises right before ovulation occurs. Therefore the kits are supposed to detect whether you're going to ovulate but cannot ensure that you do ovulate. The main way to decipher if ovulation is in fact taking place is by tracking your body temperature. Hang in there and just BD  as much as possible:) you'll catch that egg soon enough!
It sounds to me like there is a good chance you just missed your surge. I wouldn't worry too much. If you don't get a bfp this month, then next month you may want to start the opks sooner instead of waiting for EWCM. Good luck. SSBD to you!
Hey there!  You know how much I love my Digital OPK's, but just a couple of thoughts for you...

I did a fair amount of reading on using OPK"s successfully recently as I am ttc again.  I too had always just tested in the morning.  I could never understand what difference it made, or why some brands said not to.  The reason is that our LH surge typically starts in the morning (no idea why, just all the info I read claims this).  It doesn't reach our urine until later in the day.  So, if you test in the am, you are actually usually picking up a surge that started the day before.  If you have a short surge that month (which is no big deal, it happens), you can miss it.  I have switched to later in the day and have been getting my positive about 12 hours earlier then I used to.  One cycle not long ago I tested a couple of times just to see, and got a negative in the morning, a positive in the late afternoon, and a negative the next morning.  So obviously a short surge that cycle.  So you might want to consider switching your time to late afternoon, and just skipping fluids and holding it in for a few hours prior.

The other thing is that OPK's (although very accurate) should only be one tool used.  I am also very reliant on them, and have had great success.  However, I also don't ignore things like EWCM, and now I also seem to get ovulation symptoms that I never had in the past.  I also don't temp...hate it.  But it is something to consider.

Anyway, chances are you missed it.  However, if you did skip O altogether this month, no cause for concern. It happens to everyone once in a while I think.

Good luck!!
Thank you all for your comments!  

FMU is the most convenient for me, as I'm sure that it is for many people.  But, I will be sure to test later in the day my next cycle.  it all makes sense to me and hopefully I did just miss it this time.

My cycles have typically been longer, like 34 or 35 days so I have several days left to wait it out.

Just recently ordered another box of digital OPKs, so I'm set to go!

Thanks again everyone!
Keep in mind you may be missing a cycle too.. I know I have been and im ot sure if this is normal for me since I was on the pill for so long. My RE says missing a cycle is not uncommon, especially with me being a little stressed about TTC. I also have mid-cycle cysts which is making this harder, and cysts can interfere with ovulation, delay your period, etc. So I started taking Femara this cycle and have three months worth so I am hoping for a pos OPK this month. I check the OPK in the morning and in the evening when I am expecting to ovulate. When I ovulated in Oct, it came on day 15 or 16 but since this has been a little wierd, I am going to start the PKS on day 12 and 13 and go from there. FMU is really concentrated so I think thats always a good idea, and then in the evening.
Hope this helps!
yep, I'm on Clomid so I'm really hoping that I didn't miss a cycle...but I know that that is possible.  Then I'll need to start prometrium all over again to induce AF.  Soooo frustrating!

Now that this has happened, I will be sure to test in the am and pm.  I thought it could have possibly been due to the root canal, but I kept testing and still nothing.  Two tests per day next month!!

Thank you!
I was always told not to drink too much water before testing and to test early in the afternoon.  And, I don't always get EWCM with ovulation.  Ive done it many times and there were times that I did indeed ovulate (according to my ob with bloodwork), but it didn't show on my OPK stick.  Hang in there.