Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Panic disorder and pregnancy

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Panic disorder and pregnancy

Just wondering if anyone with panic disorder and is pregnant or has had children can help me out.  I've had pretty severe panic disorder for the last 20 years.  I've been on and off medicine over my life time and I went off in Jan. 09 to see how I would do because my husband and I want a baby.  I've done really well so we tried to concive.  Apparently, last month we were successful because I am pregnant.  I thought I would be ecstatic, but I'm pretty much freaking out.  I feel like my panic disorder is going to take over and I can't go back on medication.  My question to you all is this, what did you do to cope with daily panic?  Please help....
Hi there,
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I can tell you that my dear sister who has one daughter has panic disorder, and may be willing to email with you about it privately. I can ask her, if you'd like me to.

I don't believe she took medication during her pregnancy but she did go on meds afterwards, because she had pretty intense postpartum depression along with occasional panic attacks. (Which is NOT to say that you will have the same experience!) But I should really let her speak for herself.

I know that she does well with meditation techniques such as deep breathing and visualization. Those things don't replace medication for her, but they help. Have you tried similar things?
I have suffered from panic disorder of almost 25 years and had similar concerns as you when I was pregnant.  There are several medications that can be taken while pregnant when the benefits outweigh the risks buts its best to avoid these during the 1st trimester, if possible - depending on dosage, one may need to wean during the end of the 3rd trimester too.

Vistaril can be taken for PA's while pregnant - its a relatively "pregnancy-safe" version of Xanax.  It is also taken for sleepliness and allergies during pregnancy and is often used during labor too (if the mother starts to become anxious).  For me, it really helped knowing that I had something I could take if I needed to.

Please feel free to message me if you want to talk about this further.
I don't think I have panic disorder but have suffered from anxiety. I actually found pregnancy quite a relaxing time so please don't assume you will be panicy for your entire pregnancy. The hormones chill some people out. That said, if you do find your symptoms ramping up please talk to a professional.

I have found exercise to be the best therapy. Boring to say I know, but very true. There is also an anxiety forum on medhelp that will be full of people who have been pregnant and in your shoes.

Take care
Ruby, thank you for offering to ask your sister.  I would love to email her during my pregnancy.  Please forward her my email ***@****   Thank you so much for your concern and support.
First off, congrats on your pregnancy!  I don't have panic disorder, but have certainly had my moments, it's a happy but can be stressful time.  I can tell you there was a women here not long ago who had this quite severely, and was on meds for it all the way through her pregnancy (Dr. prescribed and she worked closely with her OB on the right amounts, etc.).  We don't see much of her these days as she is super busy taking good care of her beautiful, healthy baby boy.  I know this disorder can be very hard on you, so make sure you take care of yourself and talk to your OB. He or she can help you through it. Congrats again, and I wish you a healthy 9 months!!
I'm a bit like pum, I am very claustrophobic, in certain places, ie; I will NOT use an elevator, so lot's of things need to be planned out around my "issue", I don't like the feeling that I have no choice, but if I feel like I DO have a choice, I'm fine.  A bit nutty I suppose;)

When I am pregnant, I am pretty mellow & happy & do not feel anxious. I actually after about 8 weeks feel really healthy & good;)  I do towards the end & while in labor feel for moments, omgosh......this baby is coming out whether or not I am ready etc....  But it passes, & then you get into "I AM READY, GET THIS KID OUT OF ME mode LOL, & I think adrenaline kicks in & your motherly instincts kick in & your all good;)

I hope you have a carefree pregnancy, I find that when I am feeling anxious (heart starts racing, for no reason) I focus on my breathing & for whatever reason, I picture myself in a meditating position on the sand @ the ocean.  It's really weird, because I never have done yoga, or any of that, but that's where my mind goes, & I even (in my mind) do that little hummmmmmm sound!
IT WORKS though;)
Enjoy your pregnancy hun, it's truly a little miracle
XxXxXx's laura

BTW  CONGRATS!!! (*_*)
Hey there, your email address got blocked out when you posted, so please message me privately and I'll see about putting you in touch with my sis. :)