Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Percocet and Headaches

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Percocet and Headaches

I'm 8 wks PG and have started having bad headaches and migraines.  Tylenol isn't working so the Dr. prescribed percocet.  I'm a little hesistant to take it but figure my Dr. wouldn't prescribe it if it wasn't safe.  Has anyone else had this prescribed to them for pain?  Did you have any side effects while taking it?
Thanks.
I am sorry I am not much of  help on this subject. I only had percocet prescribe to me after my c-section.  My doctor knew I was going to nurse, so I can't imagine that they would have given me something that would have harmed my baby through nursing.  I am not sure if this is the same with being pregnant.  But like you said, your doctor would not doing anything to harm your baby.  

Is this something you would take daily or just as needed?
I am 13 weeks and terrible headache. Tylenol doesn't help at all.. My doctor didn't give me any prescription drug at all.. each day i have to deal with headache... i am happy if one day i don't have headache..  i think it's normal...

If you doctor prescript the drug, then it should be safe... I wish I do have that medicine to take to get rid of headache.  
Percocet is Tylenol + oxycodone.  Tylenol is the most common pain reliever that is safe to use in pregnancy (you're not supposed to take Aspirin or Ibuprofen unless instructed by your doctor).  While oxycodone is a narcotic pain killer, from what I've been told, it's relatively safe in pregnancy except that your baby may be born addicted to it (if you have to take it for the length of your pregnancy) in which case the baby may be more fussy than others and they need to wean the baby off of it.

I once had a severe migraine while I was TTC and ended up in emerg.  They administered morphine rather than other migraine drugs because it was safest to use in pregnancy.

I also just watched an episode of Life's Birth Stories (like yesterday morning) where the woman who was pregnant suffered physical disabilities with severe pain and was on morphine.  The baby was born fully intact, but did suffer withdrawal and had to be weaned.  Once weaned, however, they said the baby was fine.

It's probably more dangerous to have the high blood pressure associated with severe migraines than to take the Percocet.

I suffer migraines and I'm praying that I don't get one in the next 7 1/2 months.  If I do, then I'm told that that's the medication I'm supposed to take.  For me, I can't just put ice on my neck and sit in a dark room.  It's way too painful.

Hope that helps.
I don't know anything about percocet, but in all honesty, I now run everything by the Pharmacist.  I truly believe they are the best people to ask when there is any doubt what so ever.  I also find they are more thorough in terms of asking what other meds you may be on, and checking for negative interactions.  They are far more knowledgable about the effect of drugs on pregnant women then most Dr.s.  After all, it's what they specialize in. Good luck.
Let me second talking to your pharmacist - my husband who's a pharmacist is always glad to assist his patients (especially the pregnant ones) w/advice.  I imagine your pharmacist will support your doctor's prescription and he/she will add further information to help ease your mind - best of luck and I hope your headaches subside quickly.  I suffer from chronic pain which is pretty bad at times so I know what it's like to not have anything work - it's really awful.
Thanks Ladies!  I did talk to my pharmacist about this and they said that if taken in moderation and not for a great length of time we are both safe.  I've only taken one percocet since I got the prescription and tried to do other alternatives (more food, water, resting, etc) and it has seemed to help some.  Thanks for all the advice.