Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Perinatal Specialist?

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Perinatal Specialist?

Hi there. I'm 13 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. I'm 34 but I'll be 35 when baby arrives. This week I went for my 12 week appt. My OB had me schedule the nuchal translucency test and ultrasound with a perinatal specialist due to my age. I told my OB and the peri spec. that I would be declining the testing but the ultrasound was scheduled anyway. The US went great. The tech was so kind and really took a lot of time with us. Baby looked great and we were thrilled. She told us the doc would be in shortly to see us. When the doc came in she was VERY aggressive and basically said she didn't know why we were even there if we were declining the testing. I told her that I was told to schedule the US due to my age and that I informed the receptionist both when I scheduled and when I arrived that I would be declining the testing. No reason I gave her was enough. The truth is, she told me more than my OB had about what we could learn from the testing but, due to her rudeness, there's no way I would have consented to her doing the testing. She put the US wand down and said we were done. I go back to my OB in 4 weeks and I'm going to ask if it is necessary to have future ultrasounds at their office or if my OB can just do it. Anyone else decline this kind of testing and get berated by a doc for it? Just curious? Thanks.
Congrats on your pregnancy.  I am also TTC without luck but hopeing my next cycle is the lucky one.
Can you please explain why you did not want to have the test done?  Is it dangerous.
I hope you are able to find another Dr that will be more pleasant.
Hi,  I had the NT also, but I declined the blood test and also an amnio.  When I spoke with the Genetic Counselor, I basically asked if I should have further testing...  Everything had looked good on the U/S and she asked if I would have an amnio.  I told her no.  She said then there is no reason to do any other testing.  She did tell me to decline the quad screen that they offer later because the results get squed because of our age.

The dr office was very nice about things and respected my decisions.  I'm sorry that they berated you, that is not a good practice in my opinion... it's our body and our baby.
I am 37, I had the nt scan done but refused all other testing because it would not change anything for me and all it would do is make me worry, so whats the point if you ask me.   My doctor was fine with me not doing the other testing since the scan looked good and sometimes because of age the other tests can give a false positives.  Sorry you had such a rude doc, sometimes they forget who is paying their salary.
That does seem strange.  I have had three pregnancies.  I have never consented to the testing even though it was always offered.  No one has ever berated me for my decision.  The tests are risky, they are not very accurate and cause more stress than anything.  My sister-in-law decided to run the extra tests when she was pregnant with her second.  After the tests the doctor said there was a high chance her baby boy would be born with down syndrome.  They put my sister-in-law through lots of test, stressed her out completely, and she went into early labor because of anxiety.  In the end her baby was perfect (besides a traumatic delivery).  She never got the testing again after that awful experience.  I think it is better to enjoy your pregnancy and worry about a good name.
Whats the big deal having the sono or bloodwork done?! All they do is take measurements on the U/S...and bloodwork is done out of your arm...that being said...if both of those come back positive you could have easily declined the further testing which is invasive. I also see a high risk dr and the whole point of your appt was for that testing...I guess she figured you wasted her time. I wouldnt go back though...im sure you have other options for sonos and if you have a normal pregnancy you will prob only get one more sono at the end to make sure the head is down...
Yes I declined also I said if anything is wrong I'm still love my baby
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
Belle313 commented on hansen20's status
renae176, and Belle313 commented on renae176's status
melimeli please take the survey at t... Comment