Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Placental previa

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Placental previa

I'm 16 weeks pregnant and the doctor discovered on the infrasound yesterday I have placental previa. Baby looks great, everything else was fine. Doc said no strenuous activities... Course I had never heard of this, googled it, and now I'm pretty frightened. Is this common at 16 weeks? Anyone gone thru this? Does it include no swimming, walking, jogging, yoga... I was hoping to maintain my fitness, now I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help!  
That was suppose to be ultrasound! Oops.
placenta previa is not something to take lightly and is definitely a reason to decrease your exercise.  ask your doctor if yoga and walking are ok, i'm assuming he'll say jogging is out.  swimming will likely be ok, but ask first.
as someone who worked out until 35 weeks and strongly believes in exercise in most pregnancies, this is one of the cases where it is not recommended.  
take it easy and take care of yourself and your baby.
My co worker has it... she was told not to do anything that could disrupt this.. also, it could correct itself. If it does not correct itself, there is a chance she may be put on bed rest the last trimester or so, but she is still going to work and taking it easy. If I were you, I would not do any physical activity whatsoever just to be safe.
Thanks for your reply.  Can it cause small aches and pains in the lower abdomin (abdomen)?  I've been noticing the last couple of weeks that it was kinda hurting in my lower belly.  It'll be just quick pains, sometimes kinda sharp, and doesn't last too long.  This is my 2nd pregnancy and had no pain whatsoever with that one.  I figured it was just the uterous growing, but now I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with it.  From the ultrasound, it looked like the placenta was fully covering the cervix and the way the ultrasound tech was pointing to it on the screen, it also looked like it was partially down into the cervix.  

I've been reading up on this condition and now that I know what it is, I'm really scared.  I LOVE to exercise, but I won't to avoid this getting worse.  The tech is hoping the placenta will move.  But if it really looked like it was sliding down into the cervix, can it?
I had placenta previa with my second pregnancy.  DIdn't have it at all with my first.  it was discovered at the 13 week ultrasound and they were hoping it would correct itself but it never did. I was totally freaked out when I read the internet.  The doctor did tell me no strenous activity and no intercourse.  They said better safe than sorry.  I didn't bleed at all and didn't have any problems.  They delivered my baby by C section at 37 weeks just to be safe ;-)  The did tell me that if any point at all I saw any blood, I was to go over to L&D asap but I never saw anything.  I'm sure you'll be just fine!
My cousin and my sister in law had placenta previa.  My sister in law spent the last few weeks on bed rest, my cousin was fine, just nothing strenuous.  Both delivered via c section at 37 weeks as dainsey did.

I know of many other women on here where the situation did correct itself.  I don't know of anyone who followed Dr.'s orders that had any major complications.  Take it easy, do as recommended, and everything will be fine.  Best wishes to you.
Thank y'all very much for the info. It's eased my mind a ton. I am going to be super careful. The no sex part though...AGHHHH! My nurse did say I could swim at least.
I'm glad to see that you're pregnant... how's everything going?  (you don't know me, just read a thread from last year).