Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Positive OPK for 7 days now - what's going on?

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I have tested using OPK's over the last few cycles and my opk's are postive for 4 days on averarge, however I keep triple checking the instructions to make sure I'm looking at the right bit and I am getting very dark positive OPK result for 7 days running now.  In the past it has been suggested to me that the first ovulation didn't work properly and so your body tries again, but don't know why I am positive this time for 7 days and counting. I lost my boy back in Sep 09 at 19 weeks, had a D&E with no complications physically and have had a little lactation since (which seems to be around ovulation time).  Does anybody any ideas what is going on?  I would be grateful for any advice - thanks.
This is not all that uncommon.  You could be catching your surge on the way up and down (would mean you ovulated somewhere in the middle), or as you said the first attempt at ovulation may not have been successful.  A few cycles I kept monitoring my surge until it went away, and it seemed to last on average about 3-4 days.  Remember that after a positive you will typically ovulate between 12 and 48 hours later ,with the average being 36.  Your surge can still remain high for the same amount of time after ovulation.  The best way to catch it is to have intercourse starting the first day of your postitive and continue for at least 3-4 days afterward.  There is no need to keep testing, you'll drive yourself crazy!!!  

I'm sorry you went through a loss earlier, and I hope you are expecting again soon.  Good luck to you.
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
veronica0808, and Risa615 commented on veronica0808's status
mhv commented on melimeli's status
mhv commented on photo