Pregnant at 37 years
I am 37 years and have just discovered that I am pregnant with my third child.  It was a great shock as this was not planned.  My greatest worry is the health of the baby.  I know that the risk of having a down syndrome is high at this age.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this??
Congratulations!!!  I am so happy for you.  I, too, am 37 years old, and I am 16wks pregnant with my 2nd child.  Unfortunately, there is little to nothing you can do to prevent down's syndrome.  It is genetic, not hereditary, nor is it linked to anything nutritional, etc...  It happens at conception, essentially.  I'm feeling like you.  I just wish our age didn't increase the risks.  It's still such a low risk, no matter the age, so you are more likely to have a healthy baby than one with downs.  I wish so much happy healthy luck for you, and a beautiful nine months!
Thank you so much for your comment.  Wish the of best of luck and excellent health to you too.  

First congrats....  any women who 35+ always have high risk of DS.. There is nothing you can do to prevent that...

I am 39 years old and about 16 weeks pregnant.. I am in the list of High Risk Down Syndrome.. doctor wanted me to do all kind of tests for that.. and I refused because there is no need to.. This is personal choice... to me.. I do not plan to terminate the baby if baby has DS or anything.. then why do the tests to worry and sad and depress... I believe 9 months pregnancy should be the enjoy and cherish moment.. not sit at home and worry sick about that..

I take my chances and praying to God everyday to keep my baby safe and healthy.. I do have second level u/s to look more detail into the baby.. but amnio and blood test.. I will skip all that..

Once again.. congrats and don't worry about anything.... The more you worry.. the more you will harm the development of the baby.. think happy.. think positive... you will have a healthy baby in no time.

Take care
Congrats  hope you & your baby stay healthy! I kust wanted to tell you that I know of two women who had DS babies & they were both under 35.  One was 30 or 31!
So it's ALWAYS a "chance" try not stress over it, there is NOTHING you could do at this point...or could have.  Take care of yourself, & eat well, thats about all you need/can do & enjoy being pregnant!
Congratulations and welcome!!  Try not to worry too much.  I have met one women on MedHelp that had a DS baby and she was in her 20's.  It's still uncommon, even for us "older moms".  I am 40, 13 weeks pregnant and due date is the day after my 41st birthday.  I just had my first trimester screen and odds for DS came back at 1:13.  When you first see that number, it seems kind of scary, but put it in perspective...that means I have a 92.4% chance my baby is just fine.  I took a different approach then a poster above and will be having amnio. For me, I need to know for sure.  Anyway, point is, most of the numbers I see on here for first trimester screens are 1:250 or higher...so it is still pretty rare.

Congratulations again, and I wish you a healthy and happy pregnancy!!
We have in the same boat. I am also 37 and 9 weeks and 1 day pregnant for my second child. I had 2 m/cs in a row. My doctor told me not too worry to much as we are not yet in our 40's which the chances of having down syndrome are high. I am opted as well to go for an amnio if my doctor will suggest it to us. I have a strong feeling that this pregnancy will result a healthy baby. Don't stress yourself thinking of DS, enjoy your pregnancy and keep praying!  

Hello!

I am also 37 and 16 weeks pregnant.  At my appointment yesterday I was told that the risk for DS based on my age alone was 1:150, but that this changed to 1:4700 taking into account my age plus the nuchal fold measurement and blood test results.  

It's true that the the risk of chromosomal disorders increases with age, but it's worth remembering that, for example, in the UK (and I guess it must be similar in the US), approx 50% of babies born with Down's syndrome are born to women under 35 (owing to the fact that the number of women having babies decreases with age), so there's a risk at any age!

All the best!
Hi, I know that it has been 3 years since you posted on here about being 37 and pregnant, I am 37 and just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant for my fourth. I have a 20, 16 and 5 year old. I am worried about DS with this pregnancy. How did everything turn out for you?