Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
Progesterone Suppositories

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Progesterone Suppositories

I was just put on progesterone supp. thi evening and I am so confused...lol.. First it didn't come with any instructions... am I just supposed to insert this thing as far as I can?  (Which is what I did).  And....  I am afraid to stand up like it's going to leak out of me...lol... can you be completely active after inserting one.  I have to take them 2x a day.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Avatar n tn
I'm on progesterone suppositories too.  And I just push it in as far as I can.  My doctor told me to lay down for ten minutes after inserting the suppository.  Some will leak out, but my doctor said that that's o.k.

Good luck!
I took one at night and one in the morning.  Would just insert it as far as I could then I'd go to sleep or lay down for 15 min or so.  I ended up having to use pantyliners since some does leak out through the day.  I used them up until I was 10 weeks pregnant but my RE said I could stop at 8 weeks (I was paranoid so I took them for two more weeks.)  Good luck!
Avatar n tn
I was just put on these progeterone suppositories for preganacy (pregnancy) can you tell me are these inserted in the vagina or rectum????
tdja--They are definitely for insertion in the vagina.

guatmommy--One thing to be aware of that I found out the hard way.  If you have the kind of suppositories that the pharmacy prepares, they can be a bit sharp on one end.  I had some spotting that I think was caused by the sharp edges.  I found that scraping off the sharp edges with my fingernails before inserting worked great.

Good luck!
Melanie
you shold lay there for 20 min thats what they told me to do at IVF and i took them until i was 12 weeks and things are going good i was a little scard at first but it's fine and now i'm 13 weeks with twins boys.there heart beats are 168 each.
good luck you should also ware a panty liner so you dont rune your underware.
sorry i forgot to tell you put it in a t night and one in the morning just get up 20 mins before you normaly do and you should be good and dont worry about it commin out it's ok because it has already got into your system .
you'll definatly want to wear a panty liner they are messy......I take them 3x a day but my Dr is weaning me off them now...I was taking them orally in the AM at Noon and vaginally at night time....just put it in as far as your finger can reach and you'll be fine.
I don't think she has been on for a long while since the whole custody thing with her bf kids
Avatar n tn
I was just put on progesterone suppositories too. I am 5.5 weeks pregnant. I have 3 children and all pregnancies were healthy, but then had 2 miscarriages last year. No tests were run they just called them in for me over the phone without even seeing me. I don't see my doctor until feb 21st. I'm so nervous. I read something online that said that if the miscarriages are caused by something else (choromosone defect or something) then using the suppositories just prolongs a non viable pregnancy. I just don't know WHAT to do. I'm so stressed out. Also, I've had some light pink tinge to discharge twice in the last 24 hours, but was told that can be normal when using these.