Spotting After Treadmill
Hiya,
Joanne Here.
When I first found I was pregnant I tried to get on the treadmill every other day, I had brown discharge in my sixth week of pregnancy for about three days. When i started spotting I stopped any crazy activity, it makes you a little paranoid (the spotting).  So I never really did get back to doing treadmill excercise, 1. i was paranoid for a bout three weeks (due to the ultrasound from hell and waiting for the good one) and after that kind of couldn't get motivated. I had 3 days of what you might call m/s, have had no fatigue except for 1 day and pretty much have had it pretty easy (compared to most in the first trimester).  

So this week (week 14) I tested positive for gestational diabetes and was sent for counselling/traiing. As a result when testing my bg yesterday it was way high after dinner (I had two dinners I was starving and my stomach overrode my brain) anyhoo one of the quick and dirty ways of lowering you bg is excercise so I immediately jumped on the treadmill for 25 minutes of walking - which DID magincally drop my bg so yay!.  So after that when I wiped I got a spot of blood - URGH! and some brown discharge.

Has anybody had this? Like any movement like treadmill walking (not running) causes a disturbance and you spot harmlessly? I'm screwed if I can't do excercise to help with my gd management. I'll mention this to my ob but my next appt isn't until May 7th so I was wondering if anyone had the same?  I've not felt anything else out of order (Ie. I don't think I'm having a m/c at any moment)

when I was pg I had spotting during my second trimester one time after exercise and my dr said no more treadmill.. what he did say was that I could just take a walk.  I had GD twice not with my last pg though and you can just take a nice harmless slow walk like at your regular walking pace when you are moving day to day.  You walk all day long and don't bleed what happens when you are on the treadmill is that you go faster than your regular walking pace.  Good luck
Thanks,
I called the ob and the receptionist said I definitely don't want to do anything that would bring on spotting so probably the treadmill is not a good idea.

I went for a "normal" walk after lunch today and had no ill effects plus it seemed to help with the glucose after lunch reading (which was the goal) so at least I still have that.

Thanks agin,
Joanne

the small amount of brown spotting is probably not a problem.  But if it is more than a small amount you probably want to cut back on your activity.  

You want to build into your exercise slowly.  DOn't suddenly go do 25 minutes on the treadmill after doing nothing.  Too much too soon!  Regular walking is ok as well again don't do too much all at once..

Actually treadmill is fine, I did it all through my pregnancy.  But start off with 10 minutes a day for the first few days, or 10 minutes twice a day or 3 times a day easy pace. Then over a period of days to weeks you can slowly increase pace and intensity.

Stationary bike can also be ok (for the first 2 trimester or so) depending on tummy size.

I also had GD and yes, exercise is really really helpful.  But remember. start slow (pace) and low (intensity) and don't increase your duration / intensity (after the first few weeks) by more than about 10% per week.

Be guided by your doctor as well.