Unisom and B6 for nausea
Anyone else out there use Unisom in combination with the B6 vitamins for nausea?  I have been taking them for 6 weeks now at the suggestion of my dr. and genetic counselor and assured that it is ok.  Just wondering if anyone else uses this trick and how long they took it?  
It is perfectly safe. I had to use it throughout my entire pregnancy. (both times)
Bless your heart!!  I am 5 months and thought I would quit taking it and after not taking it one night, I suffered for the next 2 days.  I don't know why I am still sick but I feel so much better to hear that you took it through 2 entire pregnancies!!!!

Thanks so much for responding!
I hope the nausea doesn't last too much longer. Hang in there!
It is safe medication on my dr list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK.... the nausea should let up by the second trimester.. I am 14 wks and mine just let up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so hang in there, relief is coming

Kelly
14w1d
Hi ladies.  I'm 8w4d pregnant and my nausea is really bad this week.  About this unisom, is that a prescription med?  I wish I had something that would make it a lil' bit easier on me..  :)  Thanks  :)
It's not prescription, it's over the counter.  I have read that there is a difference between the unisom tablets and the sleepgels.  The sleepgels have something different in them so you def. want to get the tablets.  My experience is that I tried the Zofran, the promethezine, and all the natural remedies for nausea.  I was told to try the unisom/vit. B6 combo by our genetic counselor and a nurse friend of mine who is pregnant and sick and was told by her doctor for 3 kids in a row that it was fine.  I take the unisom, B6, and my prenatals before I go to bed.  During the day I feel much better and by the evening I am nauseated again and ready to take my dose and go to be again.  I truly credit this for saving me during the day.  I def. notice when I don't take it.  Unfortunately, this has been a really rough pregnancy and I am 5 months and still sick and suffering, especially in the evening, if I miss a dose.

Good luck.
This is my first pregnancy and I have not been able to keep anything down. When I called the doctor this B6 unisom combo is what they suggested. It does help alot. Its nice to hear others have had success with it as well. Any suggestions how to get through the workday. Without being sick.
huh... i never heard of this...i take zofran 8mg 3x daily....it helps with the vommitting but not nausea...is it a combo or do you buy the b6 seperately? i hate to be a complainer but i can barely eat a thing...i already lost 15 pounds and am 10 weeks tomorrow.
I wouldn't take the medication.  I took it with all three of my pregnancies.  All 3 of my children have medical issues - none of which are genetic and one of them is very severe.  The doctors assure me it wasn't the medication, but I do not drink, smoke, or have exposure to pollutants.  i also eat healthy and exercise.  This is my fourth pregnancy and I plan to "tough it out" this time around.  Just because it was "safe" in cerain trials doesn't mean it is safe for everyone.  Furthermore, do they ever do follow up testing?  I am sure no one has reported my case.
Take care and good luck.
i am in my second pregnancy and am going to be 7 weeks in two days. i dont remember too bad of nausea in my first pregnancy i remember having a lot of problems with gagging. but i feel like it is a lot worse this time. anyways, my problem is my doctor also told me to take "the combo" but i am a total scare freak about taking meds because im afraid they will have side effects! in my first labor my mid-wife gave me ambien and whoa it made me soo loopy i was competely out of it!! so if someone could please let me know if they had any side effects or anything with this combination...please. Thanks!
Well, don't take just my word for it but I took this during my pregnancy because I was in really bad shape and nothing seemed to help. I'm pretty sure they said to take the unisom tablets, not the gels.  I took one unisom and 1 b6 about 8 every night.  It helped me make it through the next day. This was a life saver for me.  My healthy son was born Feb. 08.  Please, talk to your dr. about everything before taking advice from strangers on the internet. I just wanted to share that it really helped me and I took it on advice from a nurse who had taken it through all her pregnancies and was also pregnant at the same time as me.  She was on her fourth pregnancy.  Her dr. had recommended it for her.  
Good luck.
How often do I take the Unisom? I was buying it to help me sleep through the night but now I am reading that it works for nausea as well? I just went and bought the Unisome tablets (dissolve under your mouth) and am curious about this B6?? I went to  buy some a few weeks ago and the back label said not for pregnant or nursing mothers? So if it is safe, how much and how often? I am 7 1/2 weeks pregnant! Thanks in advance.
I am 19 weeks now and about 3 weeks ago, my doctor recommended that I take 12.5 mg of Unisom once per night, and 25mg of B6 once per day.  I haven't found 25mg doses of B6, nor have I found any that were scored and I know if you cut a pill that isn't scored you lose some of the potency.  Thus far I have just been taking the unisom and it has REALLY helped with my nausea.  I hardly get sick anymore, unless I just haven't eaten soon enough.  It also really helps me get a good night's sleep (which has become increasingly hard to do).  Good Luck!
i took this during the first trmiester at the advice of my doctor and was able to keep food down and felt much better.  i only had to take it at night, but you can take it up to every 8 hours.  makes some women very sleepy.
My RE and my OB both suggested this.  They said on the unisom take the plain tablets only not the gels or rapid melts.  You can take 1/2 a tablet 4 x daily and b6 was twice daily.  It helped a lot.  Also, sour candy(lemon drops jolly ranchers) small meals make sure they have a protein, gingerale, ginger cookies, all of this helped.  Good luck.
I am almost 20 weeks and have taken this throughout my entire pregnancy so far.  My mom had hypermesis also and took it through both pregnancies with me and my sister and we are both really healthy!  I started having bad nausea at 6 weeks and had to get hydrated with IV fluids everyday just to make it through.  At that point I was taking the 25 mg tablets and 50mg of b6 every 6 hours.  At about 17 weeks the nausea started to get a little bit better and I am taking it less, probably only about once to twice a day with food.  In my opinion I truly feel like these are safe medications to take during pregnancy.  If you read online there are some stduies about vitamin b-6 and long term use but that is only if you take very high doses of it...Please email me if you want to chat, I know how hard it is to make it through this.  They gave me everything zofran (disolvable and not disolvable), phenergan, reglan (iv and pill form), benadryl, none of those meds worked for very long...
***@****
I wanted to agree with most women on here that the Unisom rocks (and it's only been two nights).  I haven't even started the B6 portion yet, because I had to order the 25mg tabs.  To the poster who couldn't find the 25mg tabs...just ask the pharmacist.  If they aren't behind their counter, they can order them next day (no prescription necessary).  And they are cheap.  Piperlilith, just a warning not to overdo the B6!  Make sure you're only doing the 25mg tabs twice a day and not the 50s or 100s.  For health reasons, it is recommended that a woman should not intake more than 100mg of B6 a day.
Is the "medicine" you're talking about Unisom with B6 or is it Zofram?