Upper Abdominal Pain in Early Pregnancy?
Hello!  I'm sneaking over to this board from the Infertility message board, so I guess that makes me a newbie here!  I am 6 wks 1 day pregnant and had a question about your experience with stomach pain.

With my first child, I didn't get any nausea or many pregnancy symptoms that people list, but with this one, it seems like I'm getting everything!  I started getting super bad nausea a few days ago, and the doctor gave me Zolfran yesterday to help. I also was having intermittent sharp pains in my stomach (right under my sternum) and really bad gas. My tummy was all gurgling like it would if I ate a bag of prunes!

I took the Zolfran and it totally took the nausea away!  The gas seems to be improved, but the stomach pain is still there, and actually a bit worse.  It really hurts!  It feels a bit like when I take certain antibiotics that make my tummy hurt, and I've wondered if the prenatals were doing it, but I don't think so.  I've been taking prenatals for weeks and weeks and they never did this to me before.  I also wondered if the Zolfran maybe was a bit harsh on my stomach, which wouldn't make a lot of sense given what it's for, but that probably isn't it either.  I had the pain before I took the Zolfran.

I can't figure out if it's indigestion and/or heartburn or something else.  I'm not feeling heartburn... just sharp stabbing pains in my upper abdomen.

Has anyone else ever had this with pregnancy, and if so, what did you do about it?

Sheri
It might be your gallbladder.
Hiya!

I don't have a gallbladder.  Had it removed many years ago, so that's not it!

I tried some Reglan today thinking it might help with the cramping, but so far, no luck!  I can't find anything on stomach pain with pregnancy because when you google it, they assume you mean lower abdominal pain which is normal.  I know sharp stomach pain isn't normal though!

Sheri
Don't know about the sharp pain, but I wanted to let you know (in case you didn't) that Zofran has a tendency to constipate a person.  Lovely, I know.  :)

It could be a severe case of gas causing the pain...have you tried Gas-X or Mylanta....check with a doc about using them in pregnancy.  But you might need an anti-gas something or other.  Maybe?
It has been a longtime now since you have had this problem, but it seems to be exactly what is wrong with me.  What did you ever find out??
Mandy
I am having the same pain and I have gallstones. I see you had your gallbladder removed but I have heard even still it can come back or something I would ask your dr about it.
I had severe stomach pain as well.  They thought it was gallbladder, but it wasn't; just stomach acid.  I've been managing it with just Tums and watching what I eat.  Bread -- wheat gluten -- makes it really bad.  Try experiementing with foods.  Cut out high fat foods & wheat gluten and see if that helps.  Good luck.
All I can tell you is up until week 4, the gas was sooooo bad I thought my ribs were going to explode, and yes, all under my sternum.
Hi I'm curious if you happened to find out exactly what it was that was happening to cause the pain? because my fiancee is 6 and a half weeks pregnant and Its freaking me out that she cant breath that well sometimes and has sharp pains every night in her upper abdominal area under her sternum. If you happen to have found out or when you find out please post it. I'm a first time father and I don't know exactly what to do or what to say and it's just worrying me. I want to make sure my fiancee and baby are ok.
Hi I am 9 weeks and from the very start I had upper abdo pain and now it feels more like I am going to explode. I have been told it is acid reflux and pressure from the bloating. Omeprazole has helped reduce the pain but the pressure remains x