What does ultrasound show at 6 weeks 3 days
i am 44 years old and found out in May 09 that I am pregnant. After my initial surprise joy overtook me. I had my first ultrasound today and it showed a sac with an embryo but no activity.
My doctor says a missed miscarriage might have occurred as well as it may simply be too early in the pregnancy to determine much than that I am pregnant.
I am confused, scared and have read so much on these topics that I feel terribly stressed.
Can someone please tell me what should be seen in a 6 week 3day pregnancy via an ultrasound. I had an easy pregnancy before with no problems so I am in a daze right now.
At six weeks it is usually possible to see a beating heart, however, it is usually seen right at this time, meaning it could still be seen within a few days, so it may be too early.  I would think your doctor would reschedule your u/s at 8 weeks to see what's up.  At that time, you absolutely should see a beating heart, and you will know if you have a missed miscarriage or not.  Good luck :)
I'm 41 and there was no heartbeat found on u/s at 6 wks 3dys, so I went back a week later and there it was, nice and strong at 167!  They also backdated me at that point so I was actually earlier than the original 6wks 3dys.   How are your hcg levels?  That would make a difference.  They should roughly be doubling every 48 hours.  Hope that helps.
At this stage even a day or two can make an incredible amount of difference.  There should be a sac and fetal pole present. A heartbeat is 50/50 as it usually starts between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 weeks.  I wouldn't start worrying yet, it may just be too early.  When is your Dr. repeating the u/s?  I wish you well!  
you should able to see gastation sac, yolk, and heartbeat...

Congrats and good luck
At six weeks 3 days my ultrasound showed a sac and nothing in it, was diag with possible blighted ovum, told that i would miscarry.  10 days later (dif. ultrasound clinic) they found the sac, an embryo and a heartbeat.  Please request a follow up ultrasound.  

Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong so best thing to do would be wait for your body to sort it out and have a follow up u/s in a couple of weeks or so.

My u/s was abdominal (which apparently is not the best venue for u/s that early).

Good Luck,
Joanne
You're definitely borderline for cardiac activity.  I assume they're having you come back in one week.   There should be heart beat at that point.  Otherwise they should have seen gestational sac, yolk sac and possibly fetal pole.