Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
What does ultrasound show at 6 weeks 3 days

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

i am 44 years old and found out in May 09 that I am pregnant. After my initial surprise joy overtook me. I had my first ultrasound today and it showed a sac with an embryo but no activity.
My doctor says a missed miscarriage might have occurred as well as it may simply be too early in the pregnancy to determine much than that I am pregnant.
I am confused, scared and have read so much on these topics that I feel terribly stressed.
Can someone please tell me what should be seen in a 6 week 3day pregnancy via an ultrasound. I had an easy pregnancy before with no problems so I am in a daze right now.
At six weeks it is usually possible to see a beating heart, however, it is usually seen right at this time, meaning it could still be seen within a few days, so it may be too early.  I would think your doctor would reschedule your u/s at 8 weeks to see what's up.  At that time, you absolutely should see a beating heart, and you will know if you have a missed miscarriage or not.  Good luck :)
I'm 41 and there was no heartbeat found on u/s at 6 wks 3dys, so I went back a week later and there it was, nice and strong at 167!  They also backdated me at that point so I was actually earlier than the original 6wks 3dys.   How are your hcg levels?  That would make a difference.  They should roughly be doubling every 48 hours.  Hope that helps.
At this stage even a day or two can make an incredible amount of difference.  There should be a sac and fetal pole present. A heartbeat is 50/50 as it usually starts between 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 weeks.  I wouldn't start worrying yet, it may just be too early.  When is your Dr. repeating the u/s?  I wish you well!  
you should able to see gastation sac, yolk, and heartbeat...

Congrats and good luck
At six weeks 3 days my ultrasound showed a sac and nothing in it, was diag with possible blighted ovum, told that i would miscarry.  10 days later (dif. ultrasound clinic) they found the sac, an embryo and a heartbeat.  Please request a follow up ultrasound.  

Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong so best thing to do would be wait for your body to sort it out and have a follow up u/s in a couple of weeks or so.

My u/s was abdominal (which apparently is not the best venue for u/s that early).

Good Luck,
Joanne
You're definitely borderline for cardiac activity.  I assume they're having you come back in one week.   There should be heart beat at that point.  Otherwise they should have seen gestational sac, yolk sac and possibly fetal pole.  
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
krichar Baby girl is 7 months now..... Comment
1 hr ago
krichar commented on photo
1 hr ago
renae176 commented on renae176's status