What is the risk of being pregnant at 42?
Please help! my second husband is 33 and i am 42. I am taking contraceptive pills but now i feel that i want to conceive since he wants a baby. I want to know the risk of getting pregnant at this age.
Look at the stats....  the tables are starting to tilt against us at this age, but I am not saying it couldn't happen.  I would probably discuss this with your doctor and then waste no time and get to a reproductive endocrinologist.  (BTW, I have a friend who delivered a beautiful baby boy (conceived naturally) at 42.)  Good luck!  
Thanks for the advise. I will do just that! and get you posted. at the moment i feel so confused and really making me to feel so down. My husband says its okay if i cannot conceive but i feel its not right. i just hope that the doc has a solution!
You might have high risk down syndrome... but doesn't mean you get it.  the best is to talk to your medical provider and they can provide you more information....
Thanks. I have made an appointment with the Doc this week! wish me luck! i pray i get a positive answer.
The biggest risk as far as I understand it is not getting pregnant.  After that, there is a higher risk of chromosomal abnormalities, but it can happen at any age.  Once you get through those tests, there's a higher risk of gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure).  Apparently you can manage the diabetes with diet, so getting on a good prenatal vitamin and eating healthy diet with limited refined sugars & flours will help.

The best advice that I ever got, though, was to stay away from the fear mongering and just go for it.

Glad to hear you're getting to the doctor.  It's not impossible.  I'll be delivering at 42 and am 18 weeks pregnant.  All is well with my pregnancy.  Good luck.
I will take your advise positively! and you are right i guess the fear is draining my energy! what kind of vitamins precisely? any type that you know?
Coco69, I will be 41 in a few weeks and 8 weeks PG with my first. It can happen and yes, the fear of "something:" happening is there, but it is so much HYPE.  All my friends (same age) have gone on to have healthy pregnancies in early/mid 40's.

The best pre-natals I found are the ones they sell at GNC (folic acid, etc) and i take low dose baby aspirin. The cheap pre-natals cause stomach problems in my opinion (all the fillers in them)

Good luck! Keep us posted!
Sorry guys! didn't get time to see the doc this week! busy with Career Week that required all my attention! will get you posted when i see the doc Monday!
i got to see the doc on Saturday and he confirmed that its okay for me to get pregnant but there is a possibility i may become diabetic due to the fact my mum has it and i may be at risk. The doc suggested a start taking some vitamiins and good luck! well i just have to wait and see!
good luck! i just turned 42 and i'm om my 4th ivf..i got pregnant on my 3rd ivf but at 4 weeks i lost the pregnancy. i still have lots of hope. i wish you don't have to go thru ivf's and God will give you and your husband a baby soon. take care! start your vitamines and relax...
ok, in our age range they say it takes about 18 months for most women to become pregnant. our ratio goes down to about 50% of the 95% of couple who are ttc in their mid twenties. you should get a complete check up and have all the specific blood work done to check your fertility level too. the other thing is i've read that if you are on bc your body reproductive organs slow down in aging. thats a good thing. I hope you lots of luck. my husband is 12years younger than me. we are ttc for 9 months now i'm 36.
Thank you all for your support. Now i guess its the right time to go off the pill. As you say Ceejai. i will take your advise and do a full checkup.
I just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant and I am 42 years old.  I had my first child when I was 38 years old.  The only problem I had with my first pregnancy was gestational diabetes.  But I managed it by following a diet and monitoring my blood sugar levels.  Have to say, it was the healthiest I had ever eaten in my life!

We struggled to get pregnant with our first - took us 5 years!  So we didn't think that we would be lucky the 1st time around, let alone even imagining a 2nd one!  So, here we go again!  I will have a 1st trimester screening with a nuchal scan in November.  I'm sure all will be ok but we always worry!

Good luck to you and the others!!!
I am 42 and just found out I am 7 weeks pregnant!  I had my first when I was 38.  Nervous as well but confident all will be fine.  Good luck!!!