Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
am i miscarrying?

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

am i miscarrying?

I'm 39, nine weeks and 1st child. I have been slightly spotting since about 6 weeksand it has been dark brown in color.  I didnt go to the doctor for this because i read this was normal to have slight bleeding in first trimeater if its dark brown. This morning, I passed 2 small clots and was bright red blood for the first time. The clots were dark brown. My left side was hurting all day yesterday. Now the pain is gone since I passed the clots. I'm freaking out now. My first appt is this coming Tuesday. What's going on?
I would recommend calling your doctor immediately and they will probably see you before Tuesday.  Don't freak out.  I had the same type of symptoms with my 2 child and he is healthy and wonderful.  But, it is better to err on the side of caution...way better.
It may not be miscarriage. For me every time I went through it was bright red blood like my period for a day or so then extreme pain with heavy bleeding. Call your dr and let her know about the bleeding she may see you sooner. If you can't wait go to the er.
Lots of women do spot in first trimester and some, like me, outright bleed.  It doesn't matter if the blood is brown, red or pink.  A few clots aren't necessarily a sign of a problem either.  It could have been a hematoma bleeding itself out (that's what I had).  The general rule of thumb is if it's light to moderate, report it to your Dr.  Very heavy bleeding (a pad an hour) should be seen in the emergency room.  Typically, going to the ER is not a great idea as they don't consider this an emergency, and quite honestly, with a first trimester miscarriage, there just isn't anything at all they can do (if that is what is going on).  However, at 9 weeks, they can do an ultrasound which would give you a definitive answer.  Does your Dr. have an on call service?  Perhaps calling him or her and requesting an ultrasound right away would be a good idea?  It's an awful feeling to sit and stress.

Take good care honey.