Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
cat poop

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

cat poop

I have two cats and keep their litter box in the basement so i am not around it. Today my dog snuck down and I caught her eating the cat poop. If my cats have toxoplasmosis can I now catch it from my dog?
Hmm.  I'm not sure.  I don't think so.  However, it's not all that likely your cats have toxoplasmosis.  My understanding is that if you have had them a long time, and they actually did have it, you have probably already had it.  I'm not 100% clear on that though.  I do know it is more typically found in outdoor cats.  I cleaned my cats litter box throughout my pregnancy.  They are indoor cats, and I didn't have any trouble.  But, if concerned, talk to your Dr.
Toxoplasmosis is not available in the poops to do harm to you unless they have been sitting a few days in the box, and as adgal says, the cat has to HAVE toxoplasmosis to give anyone toxoplasmosis, so you are probably worrying over nothing.  Just keep the box policed up, if your kitties go outdoors and do a lot of hunting, so there will be no risk.

You can get a blood test to see if you have ever had toxoplasmosis before, and if you have, you are immune to it now.  Talk to your doc.

ps -- Ask the veterinarian if a dog can get toxo by eating the poops of a cat.  I have never heard of a dog getting toxoplasmosis.
Avatar n tn
thanks for your help! This makes me feel a little  better. Thankfully my cats are indoor cats and i've yet to see any mice running around in the basemet. Also I did call the vet and she said that yes dogs can contract toxo but they do not excrete it in there poo, only cats do that. She also stated that the only way to get too is to eat cat poo yourself or eat uncooked meat of another animal that harbors the disease in its tissue. Don think I'll be eating my dog any time soon!
Since you have been around it you have immunity to eat. As long as you don't pick it up and get some in your mouth you are fine.
Okay, nothing to add to this topic...but I have to tell you that when I was scanning the topics, I read this one as "can't poop". LOL. I thought, wow, just put it right out there! Ha ha ha...
This page gives you all the information you may need to know more about toxo.  I hope that it helps.

http://www.medicinenet.com/toxoplasmosis/article.htm

Hope the moderators let this outside URL stand.  It's important to this dear lady that is pregnant and handling the cat box.  Thank you.

Good luck to you, dear...
Pregnancy Tracker
Track your pregnancy
KeeLolo commented on photo
Aug 29
KeeLolo commented on photo
Aug 29
KeeLolo commented on photo
Aug 29