Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
cerclage

A community of expecting mothers (35+ Years Old) offering support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

cerclage

Hi Everyone,

I just need an advise.I am pregnant with twins 9 weeks.My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 22 weeks.My Ob said it was a placental abruptions.At that time a gush of blood came out twice and when I was in the hospital I was already 4 cm dilated and I delivered my baby after 2 days of pained..Now my Fertility Doc said that I will need a cerclage at 14-16 weeks.I dont know what to do. My OB said it was a placental abruptions and  not an incompetent cervix. That my cervix open because I was technically in labour. But my Gynecologist( fertility Doc) said that if the cervix was dilated at 4 cm at that time there is a posibility that the cervix is weak.

Can any of you answer my question.What should I do?? please help.
I think it's not quite clear whether there is or isn't going to be a problem.

How about the option of regular measurement of the thickness of the cervix starting at 12 weeks and then if it shows signs of beginning to thin they do the cerclage, rather than automatically doing it.

I imagine they'd be monitoring you rather closely anyway considering you are pregnant with twins.
If it were me I would get the cerclage if it was Dr. recommended.  Just because I wouldn't want to take any chances.  As far as I know it won't do any harm.  Good luck to you and congrats on your twins.
I agree with adgal.. doctor know best...

When I was 9th weeks pregnant... I got a gush of blood come one.. when I went to check up.. the doctor told me my cervix was open and i have to be bed rest for 4 or 5 weeks before she can do surgery to close the cervix... Thanks God for bed rest.. somehow my cervix closed and i do not need surgery...

If the doctor said you need to have cerlage..then go ahead and do it to save the pregnancy... It's won't hurt or do any harm anyway...

Good luck

I beleive that there are risks with cerclage, which include infection, and premature labor, though these risks are considered fairly low.

Discuss frankly with your doctor what the options and risks are, and also how they could detect if there were a problem.  

Thank you all.
I also was pregnant with twins and my materal & fetal specialist mentioned that I may need to have a cerclage once we get to the 25th week or so depending on how things progressed. At week 17 I developed a hematoma (spelling?) in one of the sacs which caused me to bleed & have some pain. Upon examining me he noted that my cervix was begining to dilate slightly --so into the hospital I went.

I was given an emergency cerclage at 17 wks and put on bed rest till the end of my pregnancy. I delivered at 37 wks and the twins were very healthy (5.9 & 5.12 lbs). It was a long 20 weeks but well worth it.

If I were you & your doctor mentioned a cerclage --go ahead with it ASAP. You've already had one loss don't take any risk w/this pregnancy. I had 4 mc's previous to the twins and am currently pregnant (7.4 wks) and possibly facing another mc (will know within two day) ... so I know how it feels.

The procedure is not that bad --you don't feel it once it's in. And just think --how everyone will be waiting on you hand & foot while your on bed rest :)
I am also pregnant with twins and I am 9 wks 1 day along too.  This is actually my 2nd set.  I had some tough times the first time around.  I had pre-term labor at 24 wks & I was in the hospital for a few days then I came out of the hospital and the docs gave me meds for home but 3 wks later at 27 wks I was back in the hospital b/c I started to dilate and become affaced (spelling) and I stayed in the hospital till I delivered them at 34 wks.  The docs never mentioned to me about a cerclage & maybe that would have helped in my situation.  I guess we will see what happens this time around.  I am hoping that the babies behave themselves and don't want to come out till they are ready to come.  Congrats on having twins & good luck to you and keep us posted.
In adition to the cerclage ... I also had meds at 27 wks to stop pre-term labor. I was on a tributiline (spelling) pump for 10 wks. These meds needed to be washed out of my system every few weeks with magnesium --so I too had a few (3) short stays in the hospital. My options were either to be in the hospital till delivery or at home (if I followed the strict doctor orders). I was fortunate to have a good support system at home which allowed me to follow his strict bed rest regimen. I was very thankful for my doctors care!
Hi Ladies,

Thank you so much.I have decided to do the cerclage I am now waiting for my scheduled surgery.I really appreciate all your input.It was a big help in my decision.May God help us all achieved what we want the most.Take Care all.
As supersally said, they can monitor your cervix and if it starts to thin or dilate you can have the cerclage put in then but I think there are less risks if you do it early and then you might also be able to avoid bed rest.

I was 4cm dilated at 17wks. I had an emergency cerclage put in and carried my baby to 33 weeks when my water broke.  

Make sure you see a high risk dr (perinatal dr) and not just a regular OB.

best of luck to you!!
My good friend had a cerclage after many m/c's (IVF for 2 years).  It worked perfectly and she has a healthy baby boy!
Good luck!