Pregnancy: Age 35+ Community
empty sac

Join other 35+ year old expecting mothers for support through pregnancy and childbirth. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

empty sac

i has an ultrasound and i was 7 weeks 6 days. i had some blood spotting that was reason for ultrasound. well the baby was just fine hr was 167 but she was looking and she said there was an empty sac over to the right. i did not get much info yet. she said it could have been another baby but not sure. she said dr said she does not think it was that. i was wondering if it could be anything else. i had a miscariage in july and had a hard time. i thought maybe thats why she told me to just stay positive about the one baby. but if it is not  what would a empty fluid sac be. i really want to know. thank you
I wish I could answer, but I just don't know.

Are your levels higher than normal?  That MIGHT be a clue.  Maybe it's a cyst or something?  

Good luck to you.
Ashley's mom is right it co7uold be a cyst, but I would think maybe vanising twin.  stay strong
i had same thing , when i had my first son i had a empty sac to, when i had my son they had to break the sack it was full of fuild to. but dr never said why i had two, butits ok i had a sweet 5pd boy and hes my heart. try and not think of that could just be there to be there who knows just think about that sweet baby you do see.
Avatar n tn
Hi there,

I was pregnant and one sac was empty and the other had tissue. I was carrying twins. There is a a situation or I cannot find the coreect words. But it is called the vanishing twin syndrome. Not sure of spelling. Some people that are pregnant may have concieved twins, but due to finding out about the pregnancy later the second sac vanishes. Mostly in finding out you are pregnant early is when it is detected or if something needed to be checked in an ultra sound. That is when they find the other sac before it has a change to reabsorb by the body. I have been reading up on this for that is what I thought was going on with me. A midwife told me I was pregnant and that one of my sacs appeared smaller than the other and she suspected that could be what may have been going on with me. But, also at 14 pls weeks she was telling me that my babies were moving and one was more active than the other when in fact  they both had passed away at gestation of 6 wks and 5 wks. It really hurt to see that someone could have done that. Well, I decided to see a obgyn because of the fact I was carrying twins and thats when everything fell apart. My babies had passed away and the m idwife ewas clueless. So ladies, I am not knocking midwifes, but check history and credentials. Make sure they are certified midwifes, and alsways have a doctor during your pregancy along with CERTIFIED midwife. I hope this helps someone, though I was too late.
This is my 2nd pregnancy. First one was a healthy pregnancy all the way thru and my daughter will turn 1 on friday(new years baby:)) anyways. Thru my calculations I should be around 8 weeks, been spotting for the past 3 days, so doctor wanted me to come in for a sonagram today.. My doctor won't be in until monday but the sonagram tech said all there was,was a sac but said it could be too early to tell and possibly have my dates off.. But I don't believe that.. I really think that its a blighted ovum.. They also did blood test but again, won't hear anything til' monday(UGH). Hate playing the waiting game....:( really realllly hope they'll do another sonagram and poof! There will be a baby w a beating heart healthy as can be.. But I having a feeling that's not gonna be the case:-/

Best of luck to everyone,
-nicole
Hi there.  You have posted on to the bottom of a very old post, so it's possible not many will see your comment.  I am so sorry you are going through this.  Sadly, there should be a heartbeat at 8 weeks. Are you certain of your dates?  I wish you well.  
I have had 2 pregnancys where there is a sac but no fetus, and I guess its got me concerned that it will be hard to have children. Has anyone had that and then gone on to have healthy children, and health pregnancys after? I worry that if I'm already having complications that if and when i do have a viable pregnancy it will be a hard one..Thanks for any advice