gestinal diabetes
Dear community, I am a 37 year old mom who on my third round of having a baby was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Is this more common in older moms? Does anyone know or had experience having it? Are you put on a certain calorie diet? I never had this problem with my other two kids.
I'm 36 and 18a 1d with my third child. I had some issues at the beginning and they did the glucose test when I was only 12w. I had to do the three hour test and that came back ok. I was still told to stay away to much extra sugar. Usually this test is done later in pregnancy. I'm am trying to watch what I eat so that I don't have any problems when they test again. I think if your levels weren't seriously elevated they will try controlling it with diet first.
I am 37 and had GD with all 3 of my pregnancies, and my first was at age 24. I am a very slim person too, so weight and age wasn't my factor for it either. You basically have to stay away from carbs, or have them in portion controlled servings. I found i could eat as much protein as i liked, and my sugars would stay in my limit. So lots of eggs, cheese, diet yogurts and meats. Your diet will be much healthier as you can say goodbye to cakes, pastries, fried foods, basically all junk food! It was very annoying though, as when you're pregnant you naturally have cravings, and it was hard to sit back and watch my kids and partner eat chocolates and lollies.